Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

Check out HB31. Ted Washburn(R) from Bozeman just introduced HB31. It would allow multiple tags for both hunters and trappers, allow e-callers, remove wearing hunter orange outside deer/elk season, lower the cost for non-resident tag fee from $350 to $50, and best of all, cap the state mutt population at 250. If it doesn't pass, they still might change the existing laws (HB71, I think) to add basicly the same stuff, minus the 250 population cap and 15 breeding pairs part. Either way, it looks like they might actually take some effective steps to control the damn things.

I also just read that Idaho is "mulling the idea of hiring independant trappers to cut down numbers in 3 (and possibly 6 total) areas where the elk herds are really suffering.

It's time for all of us to get vocal and get these proposals passed! And you out-of-state boys... Start planning your hunts now!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

I hope this gets some serious consideration but my fear is now that all the inmates have assembled in the asylum in Helena that common sense and reason sometimes doesn't quite fit the circumstances.

With the way things are going with the number of wolves taken we could extend the season for another couple months and still not reach the quota. The dumb wolves are gone, it's going to get tougher as time goes on i'm afraid to keep them in balance.

This bill sure would help in that regard. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Hopin' w/ya.

MT could use some tourist $ from SE Id.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Roy just let me know when and we can car pool!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMedic View Post
Roy just let me know when and we can car pool!!
If you fellas take a couple from my neck of the woods, dinner and beers are on me!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I remember the same stuff from a year ago and most didn't become a reality. That said last night at our gun club we got a report. It seems most options do include electronic calls, lower price for non res tags and increased tag numbers for hunters. But a little studying shows since the end of big game season the trapping has been most productive and most taken in the western part of the state. We have them where I live, I see the tracks and kills. But I have put forth a pretty good effort and not had one shot yet. They are going to be hard to control even if we shoot them 365 days a year.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well, I remember the same stuff from a year ago and most didn't become a reality. That said last night at our gun club we got a report. It seems most options do include electronic calls, lower price for non res tags and increased tag numbers for hunters. But a little studying shows since the end of big game season the trapping has been most productive and most taken in the western part of the state. We have them where I live, I see the tracks and kills. But I have put forth a pretty good effort and not had one shot yet. They are going to be hard to control even if we shoot them 365 days a year.

Jeff
IMO, that is the reality. Wolves for now are a novelty to hunt. Eventually, people will mostly designate a certain number of days to hunt and allocate that to big game. Trapping is of course the way to go for the average guy but trappers gotta work too and that keeps them close to home. Aerial gunning is good if you have a airplane, a pilot and gunner and bottomless tax dollars but that's most productive in winter and in non-mountainous terrain. You could probably sell wolf tags for $1 to every man woman and child and not appreciably affect the annual take. Culling the wolf population through hunting and trapping also insures high reproductive rates and cuts down on disease mortality. Since poisoning is off the table, I think we'll be dealing with wolf problems for a long, long time.