Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

It's mutt huntin time fellas!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: It's mutt huntin time fellas!

kill kill kill............... I grew up in MT and now live in CO........ Do you guys really see any way to turn this around? I think the DOW for every state should be encouraging and participating in ground/arial and truck gunning. I can't believe our country has gone back to the 1800's..........
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Fellas and gentlewomen wolf hunting is a different game this year! Holy crap I can not even find a track! I think that they have delt with a little resistance since being removed from the "list"! I have just about hunted everyday for the last three weeks. Some days just a few hours, and most all day long. Still at it hard but I have found this year that the wolves are real low. I also see way less elk....way less! With the passing of big game season a lot of private land has opened up to wolf hunting.

Good luck out there!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
. Still at it hard but I have found this year that the wolves are real low.Good luck out there!
Hank, I have a few reports and also seen the cattle spook once for myself. We have a pack of 4 that is down low and are running a huge drainage filled with willows. Moose country if you will. They are making this swing about once every 2 weeks from what I can tell. I figured it was from all the hunter pressure up above this area during elk season. I also got a report of two others down on the flats in cattle country just making a huge swing. So, yes they are coming low for what ever reason. I have all the neighbors on call to tell me if they see something, even a track. I also put an ad in the farm section on craigs list asking for any info or sightings and permission to go after them. I will report what I see but my plan is to watch elk herds , find tracks and try to get ahead of them on their swings, and also get as many eyes as I can watching for me.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

I hadn't given it much thought, but most of the sign I've seen has been fairly low lately as well. We were intending to hit a couple ridges around Chippy Cr. hoping to catch em crossing the open areas on the ridge. But we saw so many sets of fresh prints down in the river bottom that we stayed low all day. There was an awful lot of elk around too, kinda suprising since there's hardly a lick of snow on any of the peaks. At least we still got plenty of time, now if we could just get a little snow.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

ours have showed up in the valley too they were right out of martinsdale this week could hear them from my yard two times last week. have been seeing them down low since before the hunting season was done.seen 7 in one bunch and 2 in the last group.