Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

It's mutt huntin time fellas!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

It's mutt huntin time fellas!

Today is the last day of general rifle season in MT, that means no more orange for wolf hunting! Our season is open for mutts till Feb 28 and so far, our wolf harvest numbers are pretty sad, only 78 total. That's a scary number when we know that the little SOBs did alot more breeding than that.

Now that we can all get the elk/buck fever out of our brains, it's time to help out the game populations. Pull out the mutt gun and traps, grab your buddies, saddle up (or lace up the boots, for those of us w/o horses) and lets all save an elk or two!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: It's mutt huntin time fellas!

I guess I should call some folks around Helmville and try for one. I would love to smack one at distance. You are right about getting out there and finding some. No way we are going to make a dent in the numbers, but we need to try.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Put on 14 miles yesterday, most of it following pretty fresh tracks. Called 8-10 sets. They didn't respond to cow talking, doe bleats, or howling. We started trying yote howls, pup in distress, and cottontail in distress later. Nothin but one mangy little coyote ( I didn't even want to shoot it, but it was so mangy that it had to be done, plus it was almost back to the truck) Looks like the mutts are safe till Saturday am... Damn it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Tag is in my pocket. Been scouting and calling ranchers for the go ahead. Got a buddy lined up and he seen 4 hazing elk toward the last of the season. I have permission to go about where ever I want too. Shot a 2" group, spot on at 720 yards yesterday just checking to make sure the 300 win and 215 Bergers were ready too. A little snow would be good to narrow down their general area. Will be cat hunting starting Sat. in wolf areas. Will be ready to switch over if the opportunity is presented. My plan also is to keep an eye on elk herds in the evening.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Im sure you guys have cattle farmers in MT . What about the next time the little bulls get there nutts cut off and there horns clipped you take along a tape recorder . They will bawl extremely Loud (Wouldnt You?)

If the wolfs are eating cattle they may be custom to there crys ?

Just an Ideah.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Im sure you guys have cattle farmers in MT . What about the next time the little bulls get there nutts cut off and there horns clipped you take along a tape recorder . They will bawl extremely Loud (Wouldnt You?)

If the wolfs are eating cattle they may be custom to there crys ?

Just an Ideah.
Good idea for sure. But Montana is still playing games with laws in an effort to prove we won't kill too many. So the electronic calls are still illegal. But my cow elk mouth call is in my jacket pocket,,,

Jeff
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Tag is in my pocket. Been scouting and calling ranchers for the go ahead. Got a buddy lined up and he seen 4 hazing elk toward the last of the season. I have permission to go about where ever I want too. Shot a 2" group, spot on at 720 yards yesterday just checking to make sure the 300 win and 215 Bergers were ready too. A little snow would be good to narrow down their general area. Will be cat hunting starting Sat. in wolf areas. Will be ready to switch over if the opportunity is presented. My plan also is to keep an eye on elk herds in the evening.

Jeff
Yeah, a little more fresh snow would have made a big difference in tracking em. You're right about following elk to find mutts. I think we had to have been no more than hour or two behind em, but what little snow we had was getting rained out pretty quick.