Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

Yes,Jesse,I feel your pain! An old Britt motorcycle racer told me when we watched the old men on old bikes race at Sears Point,"we pay for our fun later on"! As for your hunting in Oregon,Hells Canyon is in the way of a quick trip to that state.I'm in western Idaho,up the mountain between the Snake River and the Salmon. The 6.5 Creedmoor is hard for me to commit to because I have too many guns that I load with rl22(30-06,25-06,7mm mag,300 win mag and 300 ultra mag 165 gr)As a 25-06 and 30-06 shooter it only made sence to rebarrel one of the 3 30-06's to 6.5-06.I bought a Ruger M77 in 30-06 at a gun show a few years back and for $300.It made me smile wide until I shot it and couldn't hit a 5 gal. bucket twice in a row at 50 yds.The barrel had been ported and the crown was gone.So,I bought a takeoff barrel and an action wrench & barrel vise and rebarreled back to original.It shoots great,but,so does the Browning A-Bolt(the 26" barrel one that isn't in the catologe).Now,I just bought a TCR-83 in 30-06 and now have 3.The easiest to convert is the Ruger and with a die set and neck turner,I could have a 6.5 with near same balistic as the creedmoor.Then I wouldn't have to buy another rifle.I'm glad we run into each other here! I have this place to myself and go a couple of miles down the mountain to my brothers when the solitude get to be too much.This is good for my head!! Have fun,Jesse!! The valley quail rooster on the deck rail and the whitetail faws racing in the front yard as I write this ......Well,it's not so bad!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

tclose, you are right there in the heavens very own yard. My son is a policeman in Portland Or. and has been in your area rafting and camping few times. He has nothing but great things to say about the area and would be more than happy to retire there he has said. One of his son's was camping in that general area this past summer for a week. (not sure eactly where) From all the pictures Ive seen it is truely beautiful there.
I have always wanted a 25-06, that should be a good round for you for wolf. The 7mag is a great long range gun as well and I've heard nothing but good things about the 6.5-06. There are just too many great guns out there and only so much funds..
I got the Creedmoor to shoot some types of matches they have at the club that you have to use a AR platform. I liked it better than a AR in .308 because of the accuracy and extended range out of it. It is fairly new to me and I've been pretty happy with it so far, I have just this week got dies for it.

Idaho reminds me of a ole Indian prayer were he says while praying, "In old age walking on a trail of beauty, living again may I walk". He wanted to live to old age so he would have the wisdom to appreciate all the things and the beauty around him. A lot of truth in that.

Have a good'n
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Ahhh,your so right about all the guns,Jesse!!! If you haven't run into the TCR-83 or 87,you are lucky!It was a have to have!The rifle is between the T/C contender and their Encore.A compact european style single shot w/ a shotgun type action.Double set adjustable trigger.I have a contender carbine in 223 and 2 Encores w/ 5 barrels in 4 calibers from 22-250 to 300 win mag.This rifle w/ a 30-06 & a 7mm mag barrel is far and above the other T/C's as far as quality.The origenal barrels have a glass finnished blue that makes you want to pick it up.With the trigger ajusted to around 5 ounces when set,it's a tack drive from a good rest or bipod.If I had 22-250 and 25-06 barrels for it I'd have my favorites in 3 rifles.Well,maybe 4 or 5!!I plan on trying the 7mm on deer this year to see what kind of hole it makes.It reeeealy likes 139gr SST's out to 550yds and forget the circles on the buckmaster.The 9 twist bore makes that 139gr about the lower limit.The 23" barrel means big flame out the barrel with heavy pills and slow powders.I could shoot the little guy's but barrel life might suffer.I don't need another barrel burner to worry about and I what to save this gun for our topic here!!The big dog is out there!!! If we can share info here you could let me know when your out this way by email and we could tip a cold one in a toast to fine rifles! I'll work on that! I have family in Portland! Have fun and good luck at the shoots!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

tclose, I'm sending you you a PM, Jesse
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

This for the guy who wants to get EXTREAM and hands on with MR. WOLF.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle-7inch-case.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

I use my Bad News lapua semi auto. 10rds and precision long range all one

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 AM

The platform for this round sound great,but,where would you find bullets for reloading for it?? I couldn't find one in .234.It's a Lapua bullet I take it??What weights and types are there?With 22-250 and .243/6mm all great rounds and readily available, it must have something special going for it.