Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

You sure have not offended me, I wish you all the luck in the world. What may work for you is a Barnes ttx (or the one of the other x bullets they have ) or you may try one of the other lead free bullets that is out there. They only open to 1 or maybe 2 times diamater on elk or moose. I have no actual experience on game just yet, it's just from what I've read about them.
You also may want to give Barnes a call or Hornady ( Hornady has a GMX like a Barnes bullet ) They have been good about answering my questions on bullets and recomending bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I wish you the best of luck at finding a bullet and in your hunting for wolf.

Jesse
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

These wolves are not supernatural werewolves...IF you hit any animal in a non-vital area... you lose him. When you skin out and look at the small kill zone on wolves you see the real crux of the problem. As an ole friend says, a bowling ball out of a 747 or a bullet...you still gotta hit em in the vitals. Better accuracy and quick follow-up shots. These wolves don't have a gristle plate like hogs and cape buffalo nor iron hide like elephants and rhino nor are they thick muscle padded like bears and moose. You can stitch up a hole in a dead wolf but fur from a wolf is a value added that is only to worried about after you have killed the dog. Who is going to spend this disproportionate amount of time for the financial reward of a wolf pelt for fur sale...no, these devils are hunted for the challenge.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

Old 08-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb View Post
You sure have not offended me, I wish you all the luck in the world. What may work for you is a Barnes ttx (or the one of the other x bullets they have ) or you may try one of the other lead free bullets that is out there. They only open to 1 or maybe 2 times diamater on elk or moose. I have no actual experience on game just yet, it's just from what I've read about them.
You also may want to give Barnes a call or Hornady ( Hornady has a GMX like a Barnes bullet ) They have been good about answering my questions on bullets and recomending bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I wish you the best of luck at finding a bullet and in your hunting for wolf.

Jesse
Thanks jesse,I was on the same page.I resently bought a T/C TCR-83 in 30-06 and a 7mm mag barrel.I found 120 gr V-max and 139 gr Gmx blems in 7mm and developed loads for both.I also bought a couple 100 boxes of SST's that are good all purpose for here.Your 6.5 creadmore is probably the best choice I've heard since brass has is now easy to find and the Icon has made it afordable. For our texan freind,I understand completely! When the SKS failed to do the job on a running target,I bought a Eddystone Springfeild sporter (30-06) and replaced the open sights with with a milldot scope.after bore siting it the scope saved my eyes when I fired the 3rd round I'd put through the rifle.The actoin came apart in my face.I bought a 300 Ultra mag to overcome the flinch.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

tclose, sounds like the TC should work for ya along with the bullets you mentioned. Sorry to hear about the gun blowing up but glad you didn't get hurt. That would give a guy a flinch for sure..!
I do like my DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor, It has a heavy fluted and cryogenically treated 24" barrel. I just put a Geissele match trigger in it and took it to the range yesterday for the first time with the new trigger.
I shot a 3 shot group at 500yds off a bi pod that was 3" with factory 140gr A-Max's and then 3 shots with 120 gr A-Max's that was a little over 5 1/2". I knew it has always shot the 140gr better. 3 shot groups are not a real test but I was limited on time at the 500yd line for some guys wanting to shoot at 200yd so that was all I could do.
I do understand about the hide thing with big holes, I'm 70 years old and made some extra money trapping as a kid and with my sons when they were old enough. I learned early how to not mess a hide up so you wouldn't be docked on the price. Getting docked hurt after freezing your butt and getting soak plus all the time and effort put in. My Dad did the same only for him it was more serious For him that was pretty much about all the money he would have at times when he was going to have as a kid growing up.
Again I wish you the best of luck wolf hunting and all things you do.

Have a good'n Jesse
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM

well,Jesse,I geuss us old trapliners can't quit looking for another way to touch fur! I'm 63 and I put the few traps my brother had on my back when I was7 or 8.He was in a cast to his hip and on crutches and 10 yrs older then me. I've done a line for a few years at a time but have moved around too much and a pipeliner can work 7 - 12's and trap to.I've been still for a couple of years and these big dogs keep popping up to tease me.I'd share my range with you if I could.I have 15 to 640yds from my front deck and no body waiting.I could do well over 1000yds but the driver to the target across the canyon would be too long. Your creedmore sounds like a great rigg and the groups are another example of how that round shoots. Have fun!!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Bronze Member

tclose, we've got some things in common and I'd love to share the range with ya if it were possible ( may be even a beer )that is great to have it so you can shoot without leaving the house. I had just gathered up what trapping stuff that was in a shed 3 weeks ago and a guy is taking it to a trapper gathering in a month or so to sell. Some of it was in good shape from being waxed when put up, some the boys left in there was not great but certainly useable. It brought back a flood of memories for me.
The range I shoot at is 9 miles away but if someone is on the 200yd line you cannot shoot from 500yd, not enough room on the land the club owns. I live in the hills of southern Indiana and I would have to drive 60 miles to Fort Knox to shoot further than 500yd and then you can only shoot when another club is having a shoot. The next closest place is a 100 miles to shoot a 1,00yds.
I've got a custom 300win mag that I let my son and grandson shoot at 936yrds when I was in Oregon last year Elk hunting with them( no luck ). I'd love to be able to shoot 1,000yds with it and the Creedmoor on a regular basis.
The 7 days a week is not a whole lot of fun, but a guy does what he has to do. I was a Iron Worker for 30 years and worked pretty close to 7 days a week my last 12 to 15 years so I never had a lot of time either except for a couple months each year maybe. I had to take disability, broke and wore out parts caught up with me after 30 years of abuse.

Have a good'n my friend. Jesse