close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Reply

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,978
Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

There are some good ones mentioned above me & i'll add another which would top my list if sticking to the AR-15 (not 10) platform.

The 6.5 Grendel, higher bc than the 6.8 SPC, with higher sectional density to boot. The 6.5 will handle any deer (with proper bullet selection) & own any woof in short order.

The Grendel has shown to be very accurate in the right rig, I think a fella would be pleased with one.
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
    GNERGY
     
    Posts: n/a
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    I just built a 6.5 WSM that I want to take to either Montana or Idaho for a wolf hunt. That is my next out of state hunt in the next year or two.
    Tarey
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Gillette, WY
    Posts: 2,978
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GNERGY View Post
    I just built a 6.5 WSM that I want to take to either Montana or Idaho for a wolf hunt. That is my next out of state hunt in the next year or two.
    Tarey

    I am in the completion stages of one of those myself Can't wait..
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Posts: 20
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
    The 6.5 Grendel, higher bc than the 6.8 SPC, with higher sectional density to boot. The 6.5 will handle any deer (with proper bullet selection) & own any woof in short order.

    The Grendel has shown to be very accurate in the right rig, I think a fella would be pleased with one.
    +1 to both the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel, both are decent rounds, if you're sticking with the AR-15 platform.
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: NW Montana
    Posts: 601
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
    There are some good ones mentioned above me & i'll add another which would top my list if sticking to the AR-15 (not 10) platform.

    The 6.5 Grendel, higher bc than the 6.8 SPC, with higher sectional density to boot. The 6.5 will handle any deer (with proper bullet selection) & own any woof in short order.

    The Grendel has shown to be very accurate in the right rig, I think a fella would be pleased with one.
    If you go with the Grendel, make sure you can get reloading supplies for it. I was going to build a Grendel (and still plan to ) because it does perform a little better than the 6.8SPC, especially past 400yds. But finding brass and bullets is harder with the Grendel than with the 6.8. It might be getting easier to find now, but it's something to keep in mind.
    __________________
    I like things that go "bang"... I love things that go "BOOM!"
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Gillette, WY
    Posts: 2,978
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by threejones View Post
    If you go with the Grendel, make sure you can get reloading supplies for it. I was going to build a Grendel (and still plan to ) because it does perform a little better than the 6.8SPC, especially past 400yds. But finding brass and bullets is harder with the Grendel than with the 6.8. It might be getting easier to find now, but it's something to keep in mind.

    Actually, I've been seeing somewhat opposite listings. Wolf makes cheap Grendel ammo, Hornady now offers ammo & brass, Lapua is offering Grendel brass & of course the Alexander Arms offerings. The Grendel is here to stay if I had to bet on it. 6.5mm bullets are everywhere, not so for the lighter 277's. IIRC Rem & SSA make SPC brass but cannot recall others...

    Just food for thought.I know a few of the Grendel items are very new & most probably don't know they are out there.
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: May 2011
    Location: Idaho
    Posts: 262
    Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

    Any factory production 6.5 grendels that are known for accuracy?
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Idaho Wolf Hunting Buffalobob Long Range Hunting & Shooting 7 06-01-2013 04:21 AM
    Opinions on Ideal MK's Velocity for hunting augustinaustin Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 6 03-04-2013 07:21 PM
    Wolf Hunting spot on forum? nitrousmudbogger Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 04-18-2011 09:33 PM
    Ideal hunting rifle trigger pull?? jasonk_jasonk Long Range Hunting & Shooting 24 04-25-2006 06:35 PM
    Ideal balance point for rifle ( 6.5 WSM loads??) titanium Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 05-29-2002 08:35 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC