Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

There are some good ones mentioned above me & i'll add another which would top my list if sticking to the AR-15 (not 10) platform.

The 6.5 Grendel, higher bc than the 6.8 SPC, with higher sectional density to boot. The 6.5 will handle any deer (with proper bullet selection) & own any woof in short order.

The Grendel has shown to be very accurate in the right rig, I think a fella would be pleased with one.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
GNERGY

I just built a 6.5 WSM that I want to take to either Montana or Idaho for a wolf hunt. That is my next out of state hunt in the next year or two.
Tarey
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNERGY View Post
I just built a 6.5 WSM that I want to take to either Montana or Idaho for a wolf hunt. That is my next out of state hunt in the next year or two.
Tarey

I am in the completion stages of one of those myself Can't wait..
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
The 6.5 Grendel, higher bc than the 6.8 SPC, with higher sectional density to boot. The 6.5 will handle any deer (with proper bullet selection) & own any woof in short order.

The Grendel has shown to be very accurate in the right rig, I think a fella would be pleased with one.
+1 to both the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel, both are decent rounds, if you're sticking with the AR-15 platform.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
There are some good ones mentioned above me & i'll add another which would top my list if sticking to the AR-15 (not 10) platform.

If you go with the Grendel, make sure you can get reloading supplies for it. I was going to build a Grendel (and still plan to ) because it does perform a little better than the 6.8SPC, especially past 400yds. But finding brass and bullets is harder with the Grendel than with the 6.8. It might be getting easier to find now, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
If you go with the Grendel, make sure you can get reloading supplies for it. I was going to build a Grendel (and still plan to ) because it does perform a little better than the 6.8SPC, especially past 400yds. But finding brass and bullets is harder with the Grendel than with the 6.8. It might be getting easier to find now, but it's something to keep in mind.

Actually, I've been seeing somewhat opposite listings. Wolf makes cheap Grendel ammo, Hornady now offers ammo & brass, Lapua is offering Grendel brass & of course the Alexander Arms offerings. The Grendel is here to stay if I had to bet on it. 6.5mm bullets are everywhere, not so for the lighter 277's. IIRC Rem & SSA make SPC brass but cannot recall others...

Just food for thought.I know a few of the Grendel items are very new & most probably don't know they are out there.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Any factory production 6.5 grendels that are known for accuracy?