Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

Make sure u lay in all the components for it that u can. It would really suck to have a rifle you couldn't shoot. Specially a new one.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

I have talked to my good friend Coke Wallace, a professional wolf hunter, and guide. Coke guides a lot of hunters out to kill wolves in the spring, and always knows where and when to find them. I was talking to him about which gun I should use. He had one and only one caliber he recommends.

The 25-06, it has enough authority to knock a wolf down for keeps. It also has the range to hit Wolves out at longer ranges. Once Coke finds a pack and starts shooting he wants to take out the whole pack. We are over run with Wolves up here and the Caribou and Moose calves need the relief.

I go out and take Wolves under a trapping license. Pelts are bringing $400 and up right now. I use a 25-06, with another 25-06 as back up on the sled. I took a Savage 110 frame and barrel in 25-06, and had a Rifle Basics trigger put on it. I had a brake added, and put it in a Keystone Thumb hole laminated stock. I put a Cabela's Alaska Guide 4-16 scope with the range finding reticle. This gun works great out to 500 yards. But it is a cantidate for a better scope. I am looking at the Bushnell Elite. The one with the built in range finder. The one that ranges out to 800 yards. 700 yards is the limit for the 25-06. Oh you can hit one out farther, but the energy just is not there to finish the job.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Ya, the 25/06 is pretty ideal for wolf. Where did u get your thumbhole stock? . Having a spare rifle with you is a great idea. Do u use a bipod?
I think that Bushnell laser scope would be great above 0

What snogo do u use?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Why are the wolf pelts bringing so much money? What are they used for?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Why are the wolf pelts bringing so much money? What are they used for?
If you ever get to see a good wolf pelt made into a rug similar to a bear rug you would understand. They are absolutely gorgeous.

gt40
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle-wolf-pelts-.jpeg  
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

I ordered my stock from Cabela's. I did the fitting myself. I usually use the seat or back rest of my snowmachine, it's easier and faster. the reason for the spare rifle is if you happen to damage the rifle or scope when you are hours from the highway, and a four hyour drive home, a spare rifle can save the hunt.

I ride a Ski Doo Skandic Super Wide Track. The one with a twin V 800 cc engine, and a 24" wide track. Reverse and high and low transmission.

When the fur markets opened this year Wolf pelts were in short supply. Wolf fur is used for Ruffs, Hats, Coats, and a lot of Taxidermy work. A Wolf Parka is beautiful. Last year a Blue Wolf Pelt brought $1,400.00, and a pure white one brought $1,200.00. These were at the auction.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, it must be a fun and fulfilling hunt. They sound real smart, not like the movies where they are constantly killing humans. Sounds like one of the most fun and skillful hunts to go on. Any difference in wolves in Canada versus Alaska? Is it hard to get a permit or tag for a NY'er non resident Alaskan? What would be the ideal shot placement and gun and/or bullet for sparing the fur.