Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

AR15 in 223 or 6.8

64gr Powerpoints work excellent in the 223 Rem

High capacity mags most wolfs run in packs multi targets
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Nice question I think, but according to my experience wolf hunting is a sharp mind game it game mostly depend on your mind and also depend on your experience. How much experience you have in wolf hunting doesn't matter what kind of gun or rifle you have. But according to your question I must say the "Black Rifle" is the best for this.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter lam View Post
Nice question I think, but according to my experience wolf hunting is a sharp mind game it game mostly depend on your mind and also depend on your experience. How much experience you have in wolf hunting doesn't matter what kind of gun or rifle you have. But according to your question I must say the "Black Rifle" is the best for this.
Curious why you would say a black rifle? In this country it would be helpful to be able to make a 1000 yd or father shot. For that I would prefer a med weight bolt gun set up for precision LR work.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Curious why you would say a black rifle? In this country it would be helpful to be able to make a 1000 yd or father shot. For that I would prefer a med weight bolt gun set up for precision LR work.

Why not the black rifle? They are chambered in rounds more than capable of reaching 1000yds. 6 .5grendel (AR-15), 260rem (AR-10), 6.5 Creedmoor (AR-10), 243win(AR-10), 300rsaum(AR-10). Les Baer offers a 6.5 but I can't recall the name. Having owned a half dozen or better AR's I have to say that the ones set up for precision shooting give very little ground to a bolt rifle of the same dimensions. Except searching for your ejected brass in the snow

t

Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
This is my way of thinking also. In my neck of the woods, a guy will see a lot of mutts at a distance past 500 yards.
My experience with black guns is minimal and all are factory guns. Colts and Remington, is what I have been around and none of them shot much better then 1 moa. Now lets say you have a mutt sitting down looking at you which is my most common still wolf target. If that mutt is 400 yards away with any breeze at all you are out of the game with the common black gun.
I do on the other hand have 1 friend with a Les Baer 264 that shoots very very good 1000 yard groups.
Also the mutts around here do not run in close packs, they are typically in pairs or 100-800 yards apart. So I will take my bolt gun and a fast horse!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Nothing against black rifles and I've seen some video of them being used for long shots, but IME a bolt gun is a better tool for LR precision. Same reason I would choose the bolt for deer or elk. Heavy 26"-28" braked barrel on a light-med weight action bedded into a good stock.

I'm curious why the black gun would be "better" for wolf hunting?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

There are times when a semi., at least a rotating bolt head/ extractor is a liability. Granted very few people are going to have a pack of 30 wolves walk past him at a couple hundred yards at 50 below. But a friend of mine did and his AR fired 1 round. The extractor tore
itself over the rim and that was that. 1 wolf out of 30 . That is the kind of bitter failure one never forgets.

It was 30 below at the house this morning. We get packs here and singles..

For the general run of wolf hunting an AR that was accurate but reliable. Would work well. A little bit of slop isn't always a bad thing. An H+k 91 is reliable.
I would like my 6.5 Cm M77 mk II set up to take M1 A 20 round mags.

Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 03-21-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: smart phone aint smart enough.