Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

This is awesome! I just built a 6.5x280 ackley just for this purpose. I chose this caliber because of all the bullet selection currently available and the nosler brass rocks. With this combo you get 264 win mag performance but 5 rds in the mag instead of 3, which is huge when you consider you may have more than one target. The platform is a remmy 721 trued and the bolt handle welded. I chose a Mcmillan A3 sporter in edge for the stock and one of our barrels in a #6 kreiger contour. I was really considering shooting the 130 scirocco's because they will not destroy the hide if they exit, but I'm also running the 130 Berger VLD's. My total weight is under 11lbs. Now its just a waiting game till I leave Feb 16th for Idaho!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle-2012-12-24_15-14-47_898.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift View Post
This is awesome! I just built a 6.5x280 ackley just for this purpose. I chose this caliber because of all the bullet selection currently available and the nosler brass rocks. With this combo you get 264 win mag performance but 5 rds in the mag instead of 3, which is huge when you consider you may have more than one target. The platform is a remmy 721 trued and the bolt handle welded. I chose a Mcmillan A3 sporter in edge for the stock and one of our barrels in a #6 kreiger contour. I was really considering shooting the 130 scirocco's because they will not destroy the hide if they exit, but I'm also running the 130 Berger VLD's. My total weight is under 11lbs. Now its just a waiting game till I leave Feb 16th for Idaho!
Idaho!?! A rig that sweet would look much better in the mountains of Montana! Either way, it'll look great next to a ventilated tree mutt!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

Deadlift ; great looking rifle! ! Tho I'm not a great shot. I'm an OK shot. But when the shooting starts on a wolf pack the more bullets your rifle holds the better. Even the best shots can miss a wolf that's running 45 MPH at 500 yards. Especially when the ground is broke up with criks , draws, and boulders. The biggest pack I've been into had 14 wolves feeding on salmon on a big grass/ mud flat. . It was really something when the shooting started.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Deadlift ; ..... The biggest pack I've been into had 14 wolves feeding on salmon on a big grass/ mud flat. . It was really something when the shooting started.

I would have loved to see that ...

t

Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

It was awesome. We got 2 out of that pack. I wasn't any help. My friend and I were black bear hunting and I had my 416 Rem mag with ghost ring sight. That is where I learned the lesson that a general purpose bear rifle NEEDS a scope. And a range finder would have been ideal
I held for 300 yards but the big brown one I shot at was a bit over 400 . Where the 400 gr Swift A Frame plowed up the mud was in perfect line with his shoulder. But 2-3 feet low.

This was in Southeast, on Prince of Wales Is. in 1992 . And I can still replay the hunt in clear detail. . Here in the Interior where I live now. Wolves are kindof scattered and the primary land based means of getting up on them is with a snow machine in the winter. It can be a seriously rugged hunt.

I would like to put a bug in the ear of anyone who may come up big game hunting. If you get a look at a wolf or wolves. PLEASE! !!!!! SHOOT THEM! !
We have lots of wolves, lots of other game too. But getting up on a wolf is rare.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

14 woofs would be an eerie sight for sure! I'm gonna be hunting solo, so I figure I will call in the AM then spot and stalk in the PM. Any thoughts from the experienced woof hunters? I'm not really keen on callin in the PM and hiking out in the dark. Too many horror stories.
Chris
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for the good words on the rifle !
Chris