Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Idaho Wolf Hunting info needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting info needed

what are the costs for non resident hunters. i see in the regs that a wolf tag is 32.50 , but could not find out if a NR hunting lic is needed. Can i hunt for 32.50?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH300UM View Post
Thanks.
We did contact the local biologist. He was helpful. Just looking for as much info as we can get.

When I shot my wolf in 2009 the head wolf guy at fish and game told me the highest concentration in the state was in the S. Fork of Payette River drainage. That very well could of changed by now because he also told me that even without hunting the wolves were eating elk faster than they could reproduce. That is why they made the general muzzleloader tags in to draws and have a quota on the general rifle tags. I have heard them a lot of times and seen a few in that country but they are hard to see from a long ways off because of the amount of timber and the roughness of the terrain combined with very few roads or trails. You can call them now and that may not be a bad idea especially in that country. We are suppose to get 6-12" of snow Wed. through Thursday so the elk will be coming down and the wolves will be right on there heels. One other thing the wolf biologist said was that the wolves are typically on about a 7 day cycle. Meaning every 7 days or so they come through certain areas.

BTW I was up with a friend looking for elk last week for the muzzleloader hunt and saw a bunch of fresh wolf tracks and no elk or elk tracks. I'll probably take a call this time myself. Just remember that despite the largest quota in the state the S. FK. of the Payette area didn't come close to filling the quota the in last season.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

I do not know what the current status of this pac is. With that said I have had several encounters with wolves north of fairfield.
We say three wolves(may have been the same one) but three dferant times
Told a guy who was hunting in the same area He set up and tried calling them and started howling back but never came out in to the open. We had the same results latter. They were allways in the saem draw.
Go north from fairfield go right up the dirt load over wells summit.
Good camping spot at the bottom north side of wells summit.
Keep going on this road about 3 miles form the bottom of the hill. road will t left or right go right take the next road to your right the pack was up this road just in the iside the tree line.
If you go alittle further after the right turn at the T there is a road marked with a "not maintained road" sign this road will put you on the north side of a small ridge to the north of the draw they where living in good place to call from and a long shot.
I have detailed maps if you are near star
retiredcpo