Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Idaho Wolf Hunting info needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Idaho Wolf Hunting info needed

Anybody got some info on the wolves and hunting around the Stanley area?
Any land owners or ranchers that need these vermon shot?
Group of my buddies just got back empty handed and cold. I have a bad shoulder so I couldn't go. Hoping to make the next trip.
I need as much info as I can get.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting info needed

Wolves cover alot of ground. You are not going to get an "easy hunt" answer here. Sometimes you just need to go hunting.
Kirk
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I am also in need of general area information. Everybody wants them dead but nobody is saying where to go. I am not hunting elk and do not need to hear about your favorite spot where you kill your elk every year....Well .....unless there is a gut pile there.

If you want to know about Montana get ahold of me.

I also realize it is not easy hunting, but I want 2 Idaho wolves.

I want open country.

Wife has left for Arizona for 10 days

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Guys, I would contact Idaho Fish and Game. I have heard that they are being very helpful if they know where certain packs are. As the winter progresses you will find most of the wolves migrating out of Stanley basin and heading lower with the deer and elk. That means the Lowman, Salmon, Challis area.

There isn't enough snow there yet to do that so where you find elk you will find wolves.

Hit the roads and trails looking for tracks. That area is big country and even though there are a lot of wolves they have thousands of acres to hide in.

Make sure you are up very early and stay up late. They are mostly nocturnal so early and late are easiest to find them. Plus locating them by their howls can set you up for a good hunt the next day.

Scot E.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Wolves cover alot of ground. You are not going to get an "easy hunt" answer here. Sometimes you just need to go hunting.
Kirk
Wasn't looking for an 'EASY" hunt. Just researching and gathering info. This is what I do before I just go hunting.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Guys, I would contact Idaho Fish and Game. I have heard that they are being very helpful if they know where certain packs are. As the winter progresses you will find most of the wolves migrating out of Stanley basin and heading lower with the deer and elk. That means the Lowman, Salmon, Challis area.

There isn't enough snow there yet to do that so where you find elk you will find wolves.

Hit the roads and trails looking for tracks. That area is big country and even though there are a lot of wolves they have thousands of acres to hide in.

Make sure you are up very early and stay up late. They are mostly nocturnal so early and late are easiest to find them. Plus locating them by their howls can set you up for a good hunt the next day.

Scot E.
Thanks.
We did contact the local biologist. He was helpful. Just looking for as much info as we can get.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Count me in the group that want's them gone! This question has come up a few times, and respectfully the degree of difficulty is very high, I could tell you where wolf howls were heard last week, but you'd be burning $4 a gallon fuel to chase an animal that may have moved another fuel tank in God knows what direction. We are all starting from scratch, and there isn't a secret spot. Wolves are being killed in pretty much all the units except southern Idaho. Mostly luck. Somewhat better odds than hitting one on the highway, but not much.
History many times is the best teacher, and there is a reason, aerial gunning, traps, poison, bounties, shoot on sight, and professionals working full time have been required to control wolf populations.
Tossing a dart at a map is as likely to produce desirable results as any advice you'll get. By all means go, have fun, have plenty of tags. Like an outfitter in the NWT told me 20+ years ago, have a tag in your pocket, if for some quirk we get into a pack keep shooting and we'll find enough tags. It's an old style metal tag still in the basement unfilled. Second thought it may be an unfilled BC tag, I've got some of those also. I'll most likely add Idaho to the set after the New Year.
I think it's more conscience than competition keeping the answers vague.