Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Idaho/Oregon Wolf Impact Study

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Idaho/Oregon Wolf Impact Study

Here's a link to an interesting study being conducted across the Snake river from Oregon.

Oregon with no wolves is the check sample against Idaho which has woofs.

Rancher has data of both collared wolfs and collared cows. Very interesting.

Wolf warning - East Oregonian: Free

Also a link to what looks like a pretty decent web page from Pinedale Wy.

Wolf Watch, by Cat Urbigkit, Pinedale Online!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho/Oregon Wolf Impact Study

Thanks for this Roy...interesting. The OX ranch is south of here just below the Seven Devils in unit 22. There is a pack in unit 18 so I have herd but here in 13 there are none yet. My neighbor between me and the Snake run a lot of cattle on his range and they have a huge herd of goats workin on the bad weeds so probably just a matter of time before the wolfs figure it out.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote from Roy's first link above where folks gps collared a wolf to track it and gps collared 10 cattle on a ranch...very revealing in more ways than one:

----------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, researchers caught one male gray wolf, B446, and fitted it March 30, 2009, with a GPS collar that recorded position data every 15 minutes. Eventually, the data showed the wolf present at two cattle kills and probably involved in one. As a result, wildlife authorities killed the wolf after 190 days wearing the collar and downloaded its information, Anderson said.

“This data just flat blew us away,” he said.

It showed the wolf came into proximity of all 10 collared cows at one time or another. The wolf came within about 500 yards of all 10 on 784 occasions. It came within 100 yards on 54 occasions, according to information Anderson provided. On several occasions, the wolf and collared cattle were basically in the same spot, according to his records.

Anderson’s presentation also highlights how the collared wolf came within 500 yards of homes around the ranch on 307 occasions, and lingered a full day within 300 yards of a ranch lodge.

“The wolf stayed there all day,” Anderson said, pointing to an aerial photo of the site. “And that’s a well-traveled country road right there. It actually came down and we had wolf manure in the garden.”
--------------------------------------------------

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

That is very interesting!! I know the ranchers around here have noticed a big difference in how the cattle act and spread out when they come of the allotments but it's real interesting to see actual data put to it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

KCEBCJ
I can tell you for a fact there is atleast one pac in 18 I have seen them North of heavans gate look out(several miles) also saw lots of sign on unit 14
retiredcpo