Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Help a Sailor shoot a wolf!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Help a Sailor shoot a wolf!!!

Good evening fella's -

New to this forum and wolf hunting, been hunting yotes religiously for a few years but never wolves. I'm stationed in Virginia Beach but will be transferring to San Diego the last week of May. The plan is to take a long route through Montana to Washington and then down the coast. Conveniently, that puts me in Idaho during what looks like wolf season in a few zones and I would love to spend a few days taking advantage of that. Wolf hunters sound welcomed in Idaho!

I think I've read everything on the internet regarding wolf hunting including wolf sightings. However, hunting something you've never hunted, somewhere you've never hunted can be a daunting challenge. I'm good with a map and compass and will spend a few days in the woods looking randomly if I have to, but I'd rather not.

If anyone that is familiar with wolf hunting in Idaho (specifically the Lolo/Selway areas) has any advice regarding where and how to find them I would greatly appreciate it. I'm competent in the woods, in good shape, and can cover a lot of ground on foot to get to them.

Also, I've looked at the May weather averages but I don't know what to expect as far as snow cover. Can a lot of snow cover be expected toward the end of May?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice... - Paul
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help a Sailor shoot a wolf!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrunning View Post
Good evening fella's -

New to this forum and wolf hunting, been hunting yotes religiously for a few years but never wolves. I'm stationed in Virginia Beach but will be transferring to San Diego the last week of May. The plan is to take a long route through Montana to Washington and then down the coast. Conveniently, that puts me in Idaho during what looks like wolf season in a few zones and I would love to spend a few days taking advantage of that. Wolf hunters sound welcomed in Idaho!

I think I've read everything on the internet regarding wolf hunting including wolf sightings. However, hunting something you've never hunted, somewhere you've never hunted can be a daunting challenge. I'm good with a map and compass and will spend a few days in the woods looking randomly if I have to, but I'd rather not.

If anyone that is familiar with wolf hunting in Idaho (specifically the Lolo/Selway areas) has any advice regarding where and how to find them I would greatly appreciate it. I'm competent in the woods, in good shape, and can cover a lot of ground on foot to get to them.

Also, I've looked at the May weather averages but I don't know what to expect as far as snow cover. Can a lot of snow cover be expected toward the end of May?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice... - Paul
You might want to PM Royinidaho. He's usually on top of most wolf things. Feel free to stop in Montana and shoot as many as you want, I promise we won't tell anyone.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'd love to see you score, but there isn't a season available during the time you mention. At least that I'm aware of. Wyoming may be ready to go by then. Have a safe trip.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks threejones,

harperc - The Idaho Fish and Game website states that the season runs from August 31 - June 30 in the Lolo and Selway zones. 2 tags per hunter.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrunning View Post
Thanks threejones,

harperc - The Idaho Fish and Game website states that the season runs from August 31 - June 30 in the Lolo and Selway zones. 2 tags per hunter.
Thanks for the correction I missed that one. Carl