Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Damn it, I got out smarted!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Damn it, I got out smarted!

Hunting season is over here in Montana, but that does not mean that the learning process is over. It seems like in the last week wolves coyotes and fox are every where! A friend went to pull traps and saw 10 wolves that came out of YNP one day after the season, hmm the mange study and feeding area at Stevens Cr. must be over. He caught one a few days after the trapping season opened and they spent their time until now living around Mammoth. March 1 an employee of mine saw three on Dome Mtn. WMA while glassing for future horn hunting. On Feb. 28 I got a call from a friend of a friend that a retired local guy watched 5 wolves eating something behind his house until 10 am. The dink did not call another friend of the Ohair family who has their family feedlot a half mile away, they were long gone by evening. Another friend who's son shot one out of the same bunch, saw 8 low on the north ridge of Tom Miner basin on March 1.
What the hell? And interesting how they are everywhere all of a sudden.
I say get out and keep screwing around with them, they have all summer to dumb down!
This year was unbelievably more difficult to kill a wolf. Both in finding and hitting. I have never in my life hunted something that i knew was in the area, but no where in sight at the same time. A guy can shoot paper all summer, which helps greatly improves your odds with killing most big game, and predators species. The most important lessened learned was you had better be a damn fast shot and once you spook a wolf, do not expect it to stop for a shot, ever!
Oh and at my very own house I have lost two chickens to fox! Time to refocus my efforts!
Ps. Take note of these locations
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

A friend of mine has a cabin up in Tom Miner. I may have to spend some time up there next winter.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Boy, oh Boy,
That is quite a story! Can't quite fall for that one.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Boy, oh Boy,
That is quite a story! Can't quite fall for that one.
What? I believe him, there are quite a few cabins in Tom Miner!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Rooster, What kind of shoes are you running on your steed? Are you welding on Borium or are you using the drive in carbides? If the carbides how many per shoe?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Rooster, What kind of shoes are you running on your steed? Are you welding on Borium or are you using the drive in carbides? If the carbides how many per shoe?

Thanks
Jeff
I use rim pads to knock the snow out of the foot, then the shoe has drill tech, it is borium suspended in brass that you put to the shoe with a forge or maybe even a torch, in two spots on the toe, and one on each heel. I also use four ice nails but they wear down pretty fast! I like traction!

The drive in carbides do not stick out far enough for me, and you just have one little tiny point of traction.

I used to use the borium that comes in the steel tube but the borium chunks are smaller and not as good of traction.
Some drill tech, borax, and you are in business. Are you shoeing or having it done?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
I use rim pads to knock the snow out of the foot, then the shoe has drill tech, it is borium suspended in brass that you put to the shoe with a forge or maybe even a torch, in two spots on the toe, and one on each heel. I also use four ice nails but they wear down pretty fast! I like traction!

The drive in carbides do not stick out far enough for me, and you just have one little tiny point of traction.

I used to use the borium that comes in the steel tube but the borium chunks are smaller and not as good of traction.
Some drill tech, borax, and you are in business. Are you shoeing or having it done?
I usually have them done every 2 months. But I will prepare the winter shoes for the farrier to fit and put on. I have been using 4 carbides per shoe. Just wondering what you used. I will be just going back to irons for the summer now.

Thanks
Jeff