Damn it, I got out smarted!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Damn it, I got out smarted!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
That howler looks good but it sounds like crap and it takes a lots more lung then I have plus who the heck wants to carry that monster?

I say cup your hands and let fly, you can sound better with you mouth, it is free and weighs nothing
Thanks for the tip, I hate wasting $$$ on crappy calls!!! I've howled up coyotes before, but no wolves yet. I could probably get some practice in the park, undercover of course.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Thanks for the tip, I hate wasting $$$ on crappy calls!!! I've howled up coyotes before, but no wolves yet. I could probably get some practice in the park, undercover of course.
The wolf lovers do it all the time and it is alright. a guy does a little September tune up drive to toy with elk (if you can find any these days) and it is illegal. I bet the wolf people would change their mojo if a bunch of anti wolfers went to howling in the park to find wolves.

As a side note the wolf planes have not flown at all during the daylight lately. I hear the biologists around the blessed Jellystone caught on to people watching for the planes. This is a good tool to use, a plane doing lots of circles this time of year means wolf tracking operation, I will withhold the color of our wolf plane but everyone here knows it.

MontanaRifleman Do you live near Yellowstone or Glacier? I have a dirty trick up my sleeve for the Hellroaring drainage if anyone has a coggins on their horse?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

I live just South of Bozeman. I have watched wolves in the mouth of the Hellroaring drainage a few times from the lookout on the Mammoth-Tower Road.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I know where they were this morning, and the location of their day old kill that is stripped clean. And I think I know where the elk herd is they are following too. I will be above the elk in the morning glassing at daylight.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

I've been trying to focus on evening hunting so that in the morning I'm not chasing the wolves up the hill. Well low and behold, today I rode right into two wolves laying down 200 yards away looking away from me and I still screwed it up. I am jinxed I am sure of it. The whole story is too long to type out tonight on this smart phone, but what could have been, turned into a disaster!

I have a two year old saddle that like all my other saddles is leaky now! I went right over the handle bars chasing wolves down the mountain tonight! I hate it when that happens! And of course my rifle was on my back so I had to shoot it tonight when i got home, it was such a good high speed wreck, that my new glock pistol even had a barrel full of snow, and it was holstered under three layers of cloths. Needless to say my new horse is not quite my best mountain horse yet but we are getting there. Stay tuned for the rest of the story, it is a dandy!

The wolves these days do not stop like coyotes and I just can not make myself take a half ass shot!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Hank, Be careful brother. Are you still hunting alone? I don't want to read about them finding you froze solid with a broken leg up there.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Every time I hear about one of these wrecks my arthritis flares up! Back up is good advice anytime-more so playing with terrible two's. Frozen solid with your will tacked to your chest makes a good movie scene, but loses a bit in reality. Glad you'll mend.