Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Damn it, I got out smarted!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Damn it, I got out smarted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
I didn't have any snow at the time to see if they'd been circling me, but it sounded like they were. It gave me the feeling that I wasn't the only one hunting... damn things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have a feeling you will return and the results will be different. Maybe a back up shooter along?

Jeff
Yeah go with a backup shooter the next time you use yourself as bait!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't had any experience in AK with wolves hanging around so close to me when I used to run my trap lines. But the season is open 12 months a year hear. I think your wolves are still uneducated because the extreme predator (homo sapiens) have not been allowed to hunt them in your local until very recently.

I'd try to take advantage of this learning curve, because I fully expect them to get more cautious, canny, and difficult to harvest, as the hunting pressure is applied.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Yeah go with a backup shooter the next time you use yourself as bait!

There could be 5 back-up shooters, but a person cannot kill what they cannot see.

The last wolf I killed, I had my dog with me, when I howled that nasty wolf mutt just came running at me and sat down 400ish yards away. On that day there was 4 bunches of wolves howling at me from different locations as I closed in. Just like yesterday it was a younger wolf that came in to investigate. The track of the close wolf yesterday was the same size as the one I killed last year.

So were the wolves checking me out, or the dog out, or did I coincidentally get in a situation where a stray wolf was in new country and I was in the middle of an actual stray wolf confrontation.

Just about every wolf that I personally know of being killed has been howled in. I believe that howling works because the wolves of that territory are coming in to kick some butt. I feel that the wolves are not coming in to say hello to a pack member, because they think the howl is one of their own.

As a side note when I get close enough to sit and listen to the wolf howling it is not like coyotes that clearly have certain howls, which repeatedly sound similar in tone and length, per type of howl.

Of course there will be the surprise attack wolf kill and the spot and stalk wolf kill, although I feel the spot and stalk wolf hunt is the hardest because they never stop travelling except to feast on a kill.

Given the wolf hunting is also taking place in Minnesota, I would like to hear if anybody stand hunts for wolves?
Since Oct. 15 I have spent at least part of a day, 5 days a week out there amongst em'. When I see them they are just covering ground and typically alone. Which is probably a juvenile wolf?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post

So were the wolves checking me out, or the dog out, or did I coincidentally get in a situation where a stray wolf was in new country and I was in the middle of an actual stray wolf confrontation.
I think the Alpha is sending in the young/dumb ones to check you out. Think about it, does the Boss do the menial jobs or assign them to the most invaluable employee? On that angle I would try like hell to resist shoot the one that comes in and try to trick em into thinking it's ok for others to approach you'll know when the boss comes in. Shoot his @$$. Big job for sure.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I think the Alpha is sending in the young/dumb ones to check you out. Think about it, does the Boss do the menial jobs or assign them to the most invaluable employee? On that angle I would try like hell to resist shoot the one that comes in and try to trick em into thinking it's ok for others to approach you'll know when the boss comes in. Shoot his @$$. Big job for sure.
There was a really good article that would back up a lot of what you are saying. The subject was more about biologists finding that it was the young wolves that did most of the hunting because they had the speed, energy and endurance to get the job done while the older ones herded and used their experience to find game and setup the chase. It was pretty interesting. I will post a link if I can find it.

I took it to mean that it may be best to shoot the young wolves because they are the main food providers during much of the year!

Scot E.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

I would love to see that article! Another 98 pound 1.5 year old wolf died today. On my friends ranch 10ish miles from where I last saw the wolves on the 24th. after we got done on our moon light coyote hunt he went to feed cows and found two wolves. he latter found a fresh deer kill. This is a group that started as three, that have been around all summer. A couple of weeks ago one female died, and today the second one a male got the air let out of him. The last one appears to be a pup by the track.
Good times
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Good for you, and Thanks!! I was out until dark thirty last night glassing and calling. I am after a pack of 4 and they are being hard to find. Howls before dark only yielded coyotes to answer. Plenty of deer in this area, but the elk I was hoping to glass were not there. Not sure if they moved down or were ran out. Cat season is coming to a close. I will be after them more now.

Jeff