Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Anyone know of Wolf Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone know of Wolf Guide

We went 0 for 6 this year.
Tough year, warm, wolf tracks everywhere. I missed a tough freehand shot. I think I might have just nicked his back, but didn't get him. Very few elk this year while we were there. I know someone in N Idaho that got a crack at a wolf this year. I can hook you up if you get up there. Long ways from you, however. I hope you have a good winter. My unfilled Mt elk tag is pretty painful in my pocket.. I didn't see any wolves, nor did I have a 350 dollar tag. I don't understand that one on Mt's part. I am sure that if NR's had tags Mt would have more wolves shot. Not that you guys needed any help in your unit.
Take care, talk w/ you later.
Brad
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
What do you have to trade? I absolutely obligate 100% of my energy to killing these beasts, as long as the season is open. We have wolves! Most people say they have them, but we have a closed season due to a filled quota. I have extra horses if that is your type of hunting.
Pm sent.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

You want to hunt wolves? Get up off the couch and get in shape and get some cross country skis. Then get yourself a few Russian Borzoi dogs. You will be a moonlight night wintertime wolf killing machine. Go see how Russians hunt wolves. Unless a depredation hunt using helicopters, they use Borzoi dogs to chase down and hold the wolf.

It goes without saying you do not buy Borzoi show dogs. You might need to import the real Russian hunting type. I know of at least 3 types of Russian Borzoi, from different regions of Russia. Borzoi is the Anglicized Russian word "Borzaya", which simply translates as "fast". The type you want may be the Siberian strain, known as Borzaya Sibirskaya, or Siberian Borzoi. There is also Borzaya Skrimskaya, or Crimean Borzoi from Russian south. The type you usually see American owning is Borzaya Psovaya Russkaya, or Russian wavy-haired Borzoi. This is the dog from the old Smirnoff vodka ads in magazines that showed a Czar and his dog. Only Aristocrats were allowed to own Borzoi in Czarist Russia.

Borzoi dogs almost fly over the ground. Slim chance a wolf will escape. Hunting wolves with Borzoi could be more fun than you can imagine. No gun is necessary. Sometimes Russians just finish off the wolf with their knife. Since you can't sell the wolf fur in most cases, due to treehuggers, being torn to pieces by dogs isn't an issue. In a highly populated state, gunshots at night will draw attention and a dog pack in the daytime is noticeable.

Russians commonly use helicopters and semi-auto rifles for wolf depredation hunts these days, but that is not your option. The old classic sporting Czarist Russian way should still work if you want the most sport out of it. The Russian aristocrats followed on horses if snow conditions allowed. In thick forest, X-C skis are the best way to get around.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
You want to hunt wolves? Get up off the couch and get in shape and get some cross country skis. Then get yourself a few Russian Borzoi dogs. You will be a moonlight night wintertime wolf killing machine. Go see how Russians hunt wolves. Unless a depredation hunt using helicopters, they use Borzoi dogs to chase down and hold the wolf.

It goes without saying you do not buy Borzoi show dogs. You might need to import the real Russian hunting type. I know of at least 3 types of Russian Borzoi, from different regions of Russia. Borzoi is the Anglicized Russian word "Borzaya", which simply translates as "fast". The type you want may be the Siberian strain, known as Borzaya Sibirskaya, or Siberian Borzoi. There is also Borzaya Skrimskaya, or Crimean Borzoi from Russian south. The type you usually see American owning is Borzaya Psovaya Russkaya, or Russian wavy-haired Borzoi. This is the dog from the old Smirnoff vodka ads in magazines that showed a Czar and his dog. Only Aristocrats were allowed to own Borzoi in Czarist Russia

Borzoi dogs almost fly over the ground. Slim chance a wolf will escape. Hunting wolves with Borzoi could be more fun than you can imagine. No gun is necessary. Sometimes Russians just finish off the wolf with their knife. Since you can't sell the wolf fur in most cases, due to treehuggers, being torn to pieces by dogs isn't an issue. In a highly populated state, gunshots at night will draw attention and a dog pack in the daytime is noticeable.

Russians commonly use helicopters and semi-auto rifles for wolf depredation hunts these days, but that is not your option. The old classic sporting Czarist Russian way should still work if you want the most sport out of it. The Russian aristocrats followed on horses if snow conditions allowed. In thick forest, X-C skis are the best way to get around.
These things sound amazing! I did a little more research after I read your post. I'd love to see these things in action... lots and lots of action!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Wsmbuck I recieved your PM and will respond after a bit. Just wanted to say we need a bigger quota around here I just watched 7 wolves, a few miles from my driveway, playing head games with a bunch of 50-60 cow elk.