Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Any suggestions on hunting wolves in the canadian bush?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Any suggestions on hunting wolves in the canadian bush?

I did have a conversation with one of the wardens about the baiting issue. When he saw we were from ND he quickly asked about our baiting laws. We can bait deer in ND. He was pretty sure that all of our deer were going to die because we were unnaturally attracting deer to one spot. This will cause diseases to spread like wildfire. I let him know that during the winters deer naturally congregate near food sources and for protection. I also let him know that deer are social animals and I often see them touching eachother and cleaning eachother during every season. I have witnessed hundreds of deer in very small areas during the winter months in ND. I do bait, but have no problem if I could not. But I wish they would give their real reason for not allowing it. We have people In ND that want baiting banned, they give the same reasons. One thing I heard while in Manitoba was that if a field has alfalfa bales on it at the start of deer season that the province can post that field NO HUNTING. Their stating that if you hunt this field you are hunting over bait. Now, if they were really worried about deer unnaturally coming to one place they should put a sign up stating OPEN TO ALL HUNTERS. This would allow hunters to harvest these dirty little critters before they could bunch up in this field unnatturally, thus stopping a disease catastrophe. Or they could just let the wolf & coyote population destroy they deer/elk/moose populations so they don't need to let anyone hunt.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Bronze Member

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to baiting! Seems people that whine about baiting causing "unnatural" congregations of deer obviously have never spent anytime actually observing deer behavior! And that's even scarier when I hear that crap from a freeking warden!

The scary thing is, with that mindset a warden could argue that all of the deer I have shot on my family's standing alfalfa fields were "baited". The even scarier thought is that if a warden were so inclined to charge a hunter for that, the hunter would be screwed!

Orch
Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

i would rather shoot a wolf than a 170" white taile.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

I would also rather shoot a wolf than a 170" whitetail. The scariest part to me is that they have the ability to post PRIVATE property.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

dup message sorry.

Last edited by roninflag; 12-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.