Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Alberta may kill thousands of wolves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Alberta may kill thousands of wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Not only that but they are lazy to boot. The numbers of sportsman that actually give of their time and money to help with this cause is disgusting! I sometimes wonder what we really stand for in this country anymore.

The problem is really pretty simple. We purposefully, artificially inflated the numbers of big game animals through sound management and conservation practices because that is what the specific States and their citizenry wanted. Then comes the ESA and the environmental wackos that want to introduce new predators that can't legally be managed. So we have a food source being managed for growth while a top predator is allowed to grow unfettered. A certain recipe for disaster for our big game herds and eventually for the predators as well.

Idaho is a classic example. Back in the 70's and early 80's there were very few elk in the State. Fish and Game started small herds and did a good job of managing them and the proof was in the tremendous numbers we had in the late 90's. Then comes the wolf and everyone knows the rest of the story. Propagandist biologists can try to blame it on habitat all they want but everyone that spends time in the mountains sees this for what it is.

Unfortunately this wolf topic is a small headline in a much bigger story that is happening all over the country right now. Our fundamental freedoms and and liberties, property rights, and constitutional rights are being attacked at every angle possible in an attempt to overwhelm the system and the good folks in this country. There is well funded push toward a new system of government much more bent on utilitarian control similar to the police states of Russia and Germany, Italy and China under Mau. We think we are free in this country but I ask you to ponder exactly in what way are we free? What faction of our lives does the government not have its hand in?

If the good folks of this country don't wake up we are going to loose this country that we love and we will never get her back again. I fear the complacency from many in this country have already doomed us.

Our founding fathers sacrificed their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor for this country. I wonder what we are willing to sacrifice to keep her?
Scot-E, you and Coyboy are absolutely right, you both said it very well. I'm an Ole Coon but I'm still full of P--s and I get riled up over how so many just seem to think "oh hum" that will never happen here, or some will just set back and not do what needs to be done when they have the chance.
We need to be informed as to what is happening in this country and take up for ourselves and fight to save our rights for our kids and grandkids freedom and rights depend on us.
I cannot believe how ill informed some are as to what is going on and things that are about to happen that concerns us as Outdoors men and as Americans. If we "ALL" do not "Man Up" and "Stand Up" we will all see this country loose our rights, and our kids and Grandkids will be the ones who suffer the most by us just setting on our butts.

Eat more Wolfe, fried, smoked, B-Q'd or maybe stew. Just be creative.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 PM

Being from Alberta I'll put in my two bits. There are are now an estimated 5000 wolves in the province and it doesn't take a genius to do the math on the impact this has on ungulate populations. As to the 4 caribou killed per 100 wolves the only reason for this is that the caribou population is so depleted that's still a high percentage of the herd, and wolves main diets are made up of moose, elk, and deer. Now for all the bad decisions made this side of the border, our provincial government has this one right: residents are allowed, without a license to shoot wolves at almost any time of year with the use of bait. In addition to this there is a plan in the works for aerial culls. In other words kill as many as you can however you can I hope my friends south of the border soon get the same opportunity so both our elk herds can recover.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 AM

I am also an Albertan - this report is no surprise and the numbers make sense when you consider the rarity of the caribou. I don't really care what reasons they give - I am fine with a solid wolf cull, and will be doing my part this winter as I am able.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

I live in NY and want to wolf hunt in Canada, anyone know where I'd start? Anyone from Rochester or Buffalo NY done it, want to do it?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I live in NY and want to wolf hunt in Canada, anyone know where I'd start? Anyone from Rochester or Buffalo NY done it, want to do it?
Tukii Lodge Smithers BC. Might be easier to look up as Babine guide, and Outfitters. I don't have their number in front of me, if you can't find it online I'll dig it out. A few places to see their results, NorthwestWolfSightings.org first picture up is I think 7 wolves LLoyd and a client, they ran an ongoing thread over at Bowsite under 2012 wolf trapline hunts, and 2011 as well. Lloyd and his brother Jack have been killing 20-30+ wolves annually since at least 1999, look up BC MountainHunter record book under wolf and probably the top 7 out of ten are under Tukki lodge unless someone else had a good winter. You tube has a couple of short clips under Tukii Lodge.They run traplines and bait sets out of comfortable cabins. Bait sets have been set at about 200 yards, as they haven't had hunters that felt comfortable shooting farther. This coming year they have a hunter that has asked for 500 yard sets, and they anticipate more rifle opportunity. They kind of started out to help their moose out, but since the wolf issues started down here they are booked up a couple of years. A bit on the more expensive side but equipment and service is there. One of the few things on the planet I recommend without reservation, or hesitation. PS I have no financial interest just they have been super good to us.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll update you on what I find.