Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

$710 to get my wolf out of canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: $710 to get my wolf out of canada

Dalebow, The wolf was a bonus. I did not go up for wolf. I never even thought of the cites until I needed it. Enlighten me to the proper procedure or planning. It appears you know what you are doing. Were your skulls boiled and cleaned?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

well that is a great bonus, if they had told me $710 if I got a wolf I would have paid it, wolves are totally cool critters to get. You can freeze everything and bring them home as checked backage. I took X large Dry Bags from cabelas to put each hide and skull in, they dont leak and really are perfect for you critters.
Truth be told if I had not got a bear but got a would I would have been happy.
Cant wait to see our mount.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

The forms to import/export/transport from or through Canada are not real easy to fill out without a computer either. US Fish and Wildlife website will provide all of the forms but you have to fill them out and present them at all border checkpoints. Definetely be aware and fill out the forms before you go on your hunts.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Since I didn't expect to kill a wolf I didn't get the permits prior too going up. The outfitter hasn't had any one shoot a wolf on any of his hunts.
After the fact he started making the calls and was told it would be several months, which the Tax verified. End of Nov until the beginning of June. Six months and the Tax sent it as soon as the permits were received. When there is a chance in hell of killing a wolf I don't think its worth it too obtain the permits until its needed. In the unit we were hunting NonREs could shoot two wolves on their unfilled deer tag. The wolves trashed our hunt area the first two days we were up there so killing one of them made our hunt.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

I also learned the hard way, but here is what I know, other animals may require it as well.

USFWS Form 3-177 allows for the transport of many trophy animals (bear, wolf, sheep, etc)

CITES is required for protected species such as Wolf, Grizzly, ETC. Black bears do not require CITES forms.

The forms have to be filled out with codes port of call, transportation codes and scientific names that the average person does not know, I was able to go to a local library and use their computers to find help tools online to make it fairly simplet to fill out and print the forms.

I was in an RV and arrived at the US entry point to find what I presume was a newer agent. She was very gruff and very nosy as well, she told her supervisor that my "dead bear" needed inspected, he handed her latex gloves and said go ahead, that was when she suddenly became much nicer and let me proceed thru without any hesitation. The Canadian customs agents were more interested in the fire arms and could care less about the bear.

I hope this helps someone on one of their future hunts.