Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

$710 to get my wolf out of canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

$710 to get my wolf out of canada

Just figured I'd post the total I paid to get my wolf out of Manitoba if any one was planning on shooting a wolf or bear in that province next year.

I believe bears have too go thru the say procedure as the wolves when wanting too bring back the hide or skull. Deer do not.

$150 flesh and salt hide. I did not have them tan it so my Tax could do what he needed too it.

$150 boil & bleach skull.

$410 Permits, & freight.

Total was $710.

Now to the Taxidermist, OUCH!!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: $710 to get my wolf out of canada

The first two can be done at camp.We would shoot bears in AK AND drive back threw Canada,we prepped hides and skulls at camp.We had to get a special permit to carry threw.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

sp6x6, Are you refering to the first two wolves you shoot in alaska? Since you killed the bear in the U.S. you wouldn't need the import permits, or would you?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Bronze Member

CITES Export Permit - for more information (1-800-668-6767)
Persons exporting cougar, grizzly bear or wolf to points outside Canada must obtain a federal export permit issued in accordance with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES). In addition, provincial export permits must be obtained for exporting these species, except for tanned wolf skin.

U.S. Black Bear Hunters A CITES export permit is no longer required for U.S. hunters to take their black bear hunting trophy home in a fresh, frozen or salted condition at the conclusion of their hunt. The trophy must be part of the accompanying baggage of the hunter who killed the animal. This exemption does not apply to taxidermized trophies. All provincial export requirements still apply and the trophy and documentation must be presented to Customs at the border when the hunters exit. Only the following parts of black bear may be exported: red meat, the hide with claws still attached, the head or skull with teeth attached, but no other parts. The export of the gall bladder or paws of black bearis prohibited. Note that the CITES permit exemption for fresh black bear trophies applies only to U.S. hunters returning home and not to other hunters. An individual must not sell or dispose of the black bear within 90 days after the date on which the CITES exemption is claimed.

Commercial Export of Wildlife to the US.
The United States Fish and Wildlife Service (US FWS) regulates commercial shipments of wildlife that enter or leave the U.S. In particular, taxidermists and outfitter-guides may experience difficulties transporting wildlife to the U.S. unless such businesses are licenced with the US FWS for transporting commercial shipments of wildlife across the U.S. border. For more information, contact the US FWS at 1-800-344-9453 or view information at:
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Info_Importers_Exporters.htm
Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

No CITES for black bears I see. Good deal!!! I should have checked & asked more questions too see if I had gotten my wolf tanned in Canada if I would have needed the CITES permit. I'll ask next time.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

We needed cities permit on my last 2 black bear hunts in AK to drive back threw Canada.This was in about in '98. What I meant was we skiinned.salted and boiled skulls at camp. I have done a 100 + skulls,it is easy,stinks and a pain but ,hey.My kid has done a few also,has a bear in freezer now,to do.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Thats nuts, you really didnt plan well. I brought two bears and a wolf back, full hides, 3 skulls from Alberta for $100. I rolled up the hides flesh to flesh with the skulls in each hide, all 3 fit in a big plastic container that I duck taped closed. Filled out my Cites at the airport, took straight to the taxidermist.
all animals turned out great, bear rug, full body wolf, and half bear mount