Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Bronze Member

Re: .22-250 Enough For Wolves?

To each their own, but the Natives I know don't miss.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Are taxidermist taking wolves in the round or are the wanting finished product ( skinned stretched etc..) if in the round what can one expect $ amount as long they have good color and no major holes?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Shoot what ever you can shoot well. But remember that little guns have very little energy. I am a serious wolf hunter and trapper. My wolf gun is a 338 Lapua mag. Plus I always carry my 44 mag. Getting a clean standing shot under 200 yards is not the norm. More like 500 to a 1000 yards across a canyon.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Shoot what ever you can shoot well. But remember that little guns have very little energy. I am a serious wolf hunter and trapper. My wolf gun is a 338 Lapua mag. Plus I always carry my 44 mag. Getting a clean standing shot under 200 yards is not the norm. More like 500 to a 1000 yards across a canyon.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Wolfer View Post
I am in no way insulting your knowledge of killing wolves, but how hard can they be to kill? A 75-100 pound dog 6"-8" thick does not take much to kill in my limited knowledge. I just hate sewing hides! A dead wolf makes me happy, post some pictures of some 338 Lapua holes!
I do pack a 300rum on my pack horse for wolves past 700 yards, but I have not needed it.
With trapping do you have better luck with bait hole, or scent post sets for wolves?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. Picked up a nice .243 Sako with a 24" barrel and a long-enough action to maybe convert to 6SLR later; cost of it was no more than re-barreling when including price of old gun. Just feel better with the extra ft. lbs., as stated above; plus the huge array of bullet types available in that caliber.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM

These wolves are not like our family dogs. Although the size may be the same, These animals are very heavy boned and hard muscled. They also have a "will to live" that is stronger then I've ever seen. I do use a 243 with Barnes solids to dispatch them in traps. I don't like sewing either. But I've seen them run off after being shot with a 270. One was tracked for two miles before it was shot again. The first shot had deflected off the shoulder blade. Now if I could shot a perfect heart shot every time, sometimes off hand, I would only use the 243. The Lapua stops them fast, no matter where they are hit. the shock takes the "will to live" out of them.
As for the trapping. Bait holes are hard to do, as we can only trap in the winter. Pee post and scent stacks is what I use. I use some snares, but have to be very careful on where and how to set. The white tail deer will get hung up.