Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: .22-250 Enough For Wolves?

All .22's very popular around here: .22-250, .220 Swift, .223 Rem and a guy I work with uses 12 ga.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

We don't have Wolves but we have feral dogs and some are as big as Wolves .
It's mainly about what range do you need.
The more range you need the bigger cartridge , heavier bullet and more velocity you need to get .
243W is a good middle ground and the 6mm diameter bullet means that there is lots of good bullets many of them competition quality available for that calibre .
The 22-250 will do the job no worries and if you have one then use it but windy days will cause problems for the lighter .224 bullets .
The faster twist barrel and heavier bullets will help and keep the range real , but my vote is for 243 W .
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
All .22's very popular around here: .22-250, .220 Swift, .223 Rem and a guy I work with uses 12 ga.
A 12 ga? That sounds interesting

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Shot placement, as always, is king. But, keep in mind that their heart is just behind the last rib. If you want to take one home move the shot a bit more forward. Think bait about that one.

^^^^^!!!YES!!!^^^^^

I was getting ready to post alot the proper shot placement on wolves but you seem to have it covered!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
A 12 ga? That sounds interesting
Waits until there is deep snow. Runs up to them on snogo and shoots them with No. 4. He gets about 10-12 per year.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F224 View Post
I have a friend and hunting partner who has studied the killing of wolfs around North America for years. He says that anything in the 22 Hornet class will kill them easily.

I also know a guy who shot several with an AR15 and 55gr prairie dog bullets, all DRT at 60-90 yards in just a few seconds.

60gr Partions, 65gr Gamekings or 55-62gr Trophy Bondeds will work just fine in your 22/250.
That is all well and good but at what range ? Try killing a wolf at 700 yards with a 22 hornet.

So by that theory a knife is a good weapon to take Wolves as long as you don't mention or discuss the range .

I could kill a wolf with a baseball bat but would it be a practical hunting weapon . I think not.

What about a bolt gun in an abattoir it can kill the biggest Ox in the paddock at about zero range.

You can not ignore the terminal ballistic capabilities of a cartridge at range when discussing the suitability to hunt certain game in certain conditions , they all work if you can get close enough and place a perfect shot .

The 22-250 will do the job at average hunting ranges but it still has range limitations and bad wind bucking ability compared to bigger cals that will do a better job and that goes on and on up the cartridge performance ladder but at some point practicality steps in and things like recoil , weapon weight , weapon cost , ammo costs , weapon portability , hunting style , terrain conditions , personal abilities , dictate the biggest practical cartridge for the job .

A 22 Hornet is more towards the least suitable end of the scale than the most suitable in my book .
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

I live in Alaska, on average our Wolves range from 80 to 180lbs. A good friend of mine is a professional guide, who specializes in Wolves. I am often invited to go along with him and his clients. No 22s period, 243 minimum. He prefers a 25-06. Some clients will bring 30-06s and he says that is OK. Some bring a .243, again he is OK with it. But when a guy shows up with a .223, .22-250, or a .220 Swift, he tells them they need a real gun that will stop something. They either accept the loan of a 25-06, or they go home. He tells them up front when they are booking with him, nothing smaller than a .243. Some will show up with a 22-250 anyway. Occasionally a .17 Remington will find it's way up there.

I shot a Wolf with a .223 one morning, at 150 yards. I felt it was a good shot. That Wolf took off like he had afterburners. We spent three hours trying to find it, then gave up. I went home and got my Beagles. Found out we had been off on the wrong track. They found it many miles away, in a totally different direction. The Wolf was lying dead. Birds had already started picking at it's eyes and head. It was a nice Gray, worth maybe $300.00. But after the birds found it and did their distruction I only got $100.00 for trim work.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.