Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .22-250 Enough For Wolves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Hey, r u da guy I red about in what was it? Zane Grey, North of some thin'??

Ubetcha!!! The 250 is plenty for wolf. Especially with the fast twist and heavy for cal bullets. The only real benefit of the heavy projectiles is longer range and improved wind handling.

Any bullet the 250 will shoot well will do the job.

Shot placement, as always, is king. But, keep in mind that their heart is just behind the last rib. If you want to take one home move the shot a bit more forward. Think bait about that one.

A local just received his Montana Rifle in 220 Swift as his wolf rig.

Good luck on your Woofin'.

Thanks. I'm a 5x great-nephew of frontiersman Lewis Wetzel on his ma's (Bonnett) side. Hard to separate fact from fiction about the guy - such as that in Grey's Spirit Of The Border, but it's pretty much agreed on by historians that Wetzel's skills and lifestyle were more of a white Indian's than Boone or Simon Kenton's, and his deeds no less verifiable or incredible than their's. I own a flintlock (Jaeger?) rifle that may have been owned by him or one of his brothers and it's possibly had the barrel shortened, which is believed to aid in loading on the run; maybe even while chasing - or running from - a wolf.
Hoping to get Idaho tags, as the hunting friend's family is out there, plus I'd really like a pelt to take back for my new grandson (middle name "Wolf" btw); if not we'll do the Kap River Ontario, CAN thing.
Will probably come down to a coin flip over the barrel twist change or re-chamber. Thanks, all.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
There is no mammal that does not deserve to die a humane death. The wolves are doing what the creator intended. The people who recklessly put them back in an unnatural habitat are to blame for the issues, not the wolves themselves. If you lose respect for what you hunt, you have lost your soul.
Well my soul might be gone, but so are the elk herds that once thrived here! I have no respect for knap weed or wolves and I hunt hard for both noxious species! I have a couple of friends that have flattened several Montana wolves with a 22-250, and I have a proven 243 and 25-06 at range, on wolves. They are not really tough to kill but they are hard to hunt!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

22-250 is plenty of gun , hell I've killed coyotes with a .22mag . Even bigger things have fallen to the 22 mag .
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwetzel View Post
Thanks. I'm a 5x great-nephew of frontiersman Lewis Wetzel on his ma's (Bonnett) side. Hard to separate fact from fiction about the guy - such as that in Grey's Spirit Of The Border, but it's pretty much agreed on by historians that Wetzel's skills and lifestyle were more of a white Indian's than Boone or Simon Kenton's, and his deeds no less verifiable or incredible than their's. I own a flintlock (Jaeger?) rifle that may have been owned by him or one of his brothers and it's possibly had the barrel shortened, which is believed to aid in loading on the run; maybe even while chasing - or running from - a wolf.
Hoping to get Idaho tags, as the hunting friend's family is out there, plus I'd really like a pelt to take back for my new grandson (middle name "Wolf" btw); if not we'll do the Kap River Ontario, CAN thing.
Will probably come down to a coin flip over the barrel twist change or re-chamber. Thanks, all.
Wow, what's the odds?

In a couple of weeks I'm starting wolf scouting and getting the pack goat string trained and in shape.

Where will you be going in Idaho?

What a story could be made of shooting a wolf with that rifle!

I'm thinking that pack goats could have more uses than packing.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
There is no mammal that does not deserve to die a humane death. The wolves are doing what the creator intended. The people who recklessly put them back in an unnatural habitat are to blame for the issues, not the wolves themselves. If you lose respect for what you hunt, you have lost your soul.
You are kidding right??? Why don't you ask the elk who are being torn to pieces and eaten while still breathing about "deserving" a "humane" death. Animals are not humans. There is no such thing as humanity or compassion in the wild natural world. It is quite cruel. Wolves are cold blooded merciless killers and a scourge to this country. A gut shot wolf will die more humanly than any elk it ever killed. If you want to bring the Creator into this, anything I ever read that He said about wolves painted them as evil beings.

Wolves need to be eliminated in any way possible...period

I have respect for desirable wildlife and game... take all the soulless wolves and throw them down to the fire of hell!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwetzel View Post
Unloaded all my larger-cal. rifles a while back; only hunt varmints, yotes and occasional slug-gun deer now. Was looking at a .243 or bigger for a wolf hunt, but as I am now already re-barreling a '250 in a faster twist for heavier bullets, am wondering if this will work for wolves?
Not interested in semi-autos @ this point. Thanks.
A 22-250 would make a dandy wolf regulator.... bring plenty of ammo.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

I have a friend and hunting partner who has studied the killing of wolfs around North America for years. He says that anything in the 22 Hornet class will kill them easily.

I also know a guy who shot several with an AR15 and 55gr prairie dog bullets, all DRT at 60-90 yards in just a few seconds.

60gr Partions, 65gr Gamekings or 55-62gr Trophy Bondeds will work just fine in your 22/250.