Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

Unloaded all my larger-cal. rifles a while back; only hunt varmints, yotes and occasional slug-gun deer now. Was looking at a .243 or bigger for a wolf hunt, but as I am now already re-barreling a '250 in a faster twist for heavier bullets, am wondering if this will work for wolves?
Not interested in semi-autos @ this point. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .22-250 Enough For Wolves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwetzel View Post
Unloaded all my larger-cal. rifles a while back; only hunt varmints, yotes and occasional slug-gun deer now. Was looking at a .243 or bigger for a wolf hunt, but as I am now already re-barreling a '250 in a faster twist for heavier bullets, am wondering if this will work for wolves?
Not interested in semi-autos @ this point. Thanks.
Hey, r u da guy I red about in what was it? Zane Grey, North of some thin'??

Ubetcha!!! The 250 is plenty for wolf. Especially with the fast twist and heavy for cal bullets. The only real benefit of the heavy projectiles is longer range and improved wind handling.

Any bullet the 250 will shoot well will do the job.

Shot placement, as always, is king. But, keep in mind that their heart is just behind the last rib. If you want to take one home move the shot a bit more forward. Think bait about that one.

A local just received his Montana Rifle in 220 Swift as his wolf rig.

Good luck on your Woofin'.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

A typical wolf weighs close to 100lb. I would say that to make a clean kill a 243 with a heavy bullet is probably the minimum if deliberately hunting them. Longer range would require more. I have seen some of the guys on the sportsman channel hit them twice with a magnum before they gave up.

I have been hunting coyotes and so far the 243 with 95gr Bergers has stopped them dead. Now a wolf is at least 3x the typical coyote, probably closer to 4x the scrawny western coyote...

If you go with a 243, it is a straight drop in on your 22-250 (same bolt head and magazine). A 308 would also be a drop in and either a 308 or a 243 barrel would be easy to find (even if looking for a Shilen) since these are 2 of the most popular calibers. There is no doubt that the 308 is the more challenging to shoot, but if the range was modest (<600 yards) that would be my first choice out of the short action rounds. Further than that, a smaller diameter higher BC bullet would be better and for that a long action is the right platform. Then you are looking at all the usual choices: 7mm Rem mag, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 270 Win etc etc.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Count me with Roy, whats the worst that could happen! Good luck where are you going to hunt?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=westcliffe01;832161]I have seen some of the guys on the sportsman channel hit them twice with a magnum before they gave up.
[Quote]

Me thinks you may be over thinking a bit.

Much depends on expectations.

My personal objective when after yotes is population reduction for increased fawn population.

Our scrawny yotes regularly take down mature white tail and mule deer. Both of which live behind the house.

Plus it's beginning to look like the put the munch on my 200 pound lead pack goat. Further research is needed. Haven't seen him in a week.

My objective is to put holes on both sides of the yote with the first shot. If its DRT good ! If I have track a bit, that's ok. . . If I can't locate it, that's marginally acceptable but still acceptable.

Same rules apply to the yote's larger relative .

More that this approach applies to only these two critters. For all other big game it's one shot DRT. Or the shot isn't taken!

Therefore I maintain the position that the 22-250 will serve one well on mr woof.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

There is no mammal that does not deserve to die a humane death. The wolves are doing what the creator intended. The people who recklessly put them back in an unnatural habitat are to blame for the issues, not the wolves themselves. If you lose respect for what you hunt, you have lost your soul.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
There is no mammal that does not deserve to die a humane death. The wolves are doing what the creator intended. The people who recklessly put them back in an unnatural habitat are to blame for the issues, not the wolves themselves. If you lose respect for what you hunt, you have lost your soul.
Having said what I said I can't recall a coyote ever lost, a deer ever lost or any other animal lost. Some missed. Never wounded.

And. . . I have yet to get a wolf in my sights. I'm bettin' I do like I practice. The shot will most probably be spot on though possibly a bit beyond the range to which I am totally confident.

Also, there must be no gophers in your back yard.

My Soul is totally intact.