Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

What is good accuracy for an AR15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

What is good accuracy for an AR15?

What is considered good accuracy from an AR? I have a Rem R15 w/22" barrel. With the best factory ammo I've found so far it shoots about 1/2 MOA. Is that what I should expect ? Or better? I have not shot it too much at any long range. I did dial with an estimated velocity and kill a possum at 366 yards the other day with one shot which I thought was good. Anyways, it's my first AR, just trying to find out what is good, average, and terrible for one.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is good accuracy for an AR15?

1/2 MOA is excellent in ANY factory rifle, with factory ammo too ???. What did you expect ?

Usually, a semi auto is considerably worse, but the rotating bolt and DI system does not use as much gas and give a repeatable lockup (about as good as it gets) for a semi auto. The Ar is inflexible in that it generally does not have an adjustable gas system, although you can retrofit one yourself. That would make the rifle a bit more tolerant to different loads.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Honestly I expected 1-1/4" groups. Which is about right with most ammo. The federal AR 223 tipped ammo shoots great in it though.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

"Tipped ammo" ? You mean the FMJ 55gr bullets ? In the American Eagle box ? It is amazing that it works so well. I got about 300 rounds of AE 55FMJ ammo with my Golani sporter and it was flat out the worst ammo I had ever shot in 223. Terrible accuracy in my Savage 10PC which usually shoots 1/2 MOA.

Now the stuff that you are talking about is a new offering and I believe was even cheaper than the "regular" FMJ ammo. I ended up giving it away, so if it shoots good for you they must have improved it. The stuff I had the primers were crimped, the brass was patinated, the bullet was crimped and it was just lousy.

Before I started reloading I was typically shooting the Hornady Superformance Varmint ammo with the Vmax bullet and later I switched to superformance Match 75gr HPBT. Then I started rolling my own with the same performance characteristics as the superformance match ammo. Just a lot cheaper than $18/box of 20. But all this in a bolt gun, where one does not have to worry about the bullet feeding mashing a hollow point or polymer tipped bullet. I imagine that people who hunt coyotes with an AR are also typically using a polymer tipped bullet (or other form of frangible bullet) since FMJ do not work too good on most live animals.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

It's the American Eagle AR tipped varmint loads. My buddy also tried a few in his Stevens 223 bolt gun and they shot less than 1/2 Moa in that gun. But you are right, it looks like crap. Some of it almost looks corroded. Green looking and stuff. But it shoots dang good in the two guns I've put it through.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What is good accuracy for an AR15?-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

No, that is something else. That is indeed a ballistic tipped bullet, similar to the Vmax. So I am guessing it has a better quality bullet in it compared to the generic 55gr FMJ stuff. That can make all the difference in the world. I wonder if it actually might be a Hornady Vmax instead of the regular red one or the green one they had in their "zombie max" ammo. Hornady make good quality bullets.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

I read somewhere that it was a Vmax. But I also have some Vmax and when you put them side by side the bullet profile is different. The closest I can find profile wise is the Remington accutip. But I still am not sure about that either. Could be a bullet I have not seen yet. Does well on coyotes and varmints.