Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles


Reply

Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hanford, California
Posts: 226
Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

I'm sure this question has been talked about but I couldn't find anything. I'm wanting to buy a precision ar-10 platform rifle I've kinda been debating on a larue obr or Predatar or a gap-10 also a rw Snyder build. They all seem so close in performance I can't make up my mind! Mainly use it for shooting steal but on occasion for pig and coyote control so weight is not really an issue would probably go with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. In a 308 or 260 not sure on caliber but more than likely would go with a 308 especially if I went with the larue since they don't offer anything else. I'm open to other manufactures so other recommendations are good but only newer manufactured ones since I'm in the great state of California and won't be able to own any of the original ones like armalite or dpms.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfarmer View Post
I'm sure this question has been talked about but I couldn't find anything. I'm wanting to buy a precision ar-10 platform rifle I've kinda been debating on a larue obr or Predatar or a gap-10 also a rw Snyder build. They all seem so close in performance I can't make up my mind! Mainly use it for shooting steal but on occasion for pig and coyote control so weight is not really an issue would probably go with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. In a 308 or 260 not sure on caliber but more than likely would go with a 308 especially if I went with the larue since they don't offer anything else. I'm open to other manufactures so other recommendations are good but only newer manufactured ones since I'm in the great state of California and won't be able to own any of the original ones like armalite or dpms.
Thanks in advance!
Well I had my mind set on the LMT as I have the 5.56 platform allready but I have been looking at the new colt allot. It has a 1700$ map price. The new Larue predator will have the option of the heavy OBR barrel in it. But with the LMT you can have the 308 and the 260 rem on the same platform.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hanford, California
Posts: 226
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

Yeah I was looking at the lmt but there was something about it I didn't like I forget right now. The colt is a cool idea but not sure if it will ideal for long range shooting. Is the 260 a better way to go? I know a 6.5 bullet is a great performer but never looked much into the 260.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

I'm in the process of building two 308s on MEGA ARMS recievers, using Amralite bolt carriers and barrel extentions. For a stocks I'm using MAGUL's PRS. The forearm I'm looking at JD machine forearm. Triggers are going to be Jewel triggers.
Rhino55
I forgot about the barrels, I'm using Rock Creek Barrels Blanks with 1-12 twist cut at 24 inches
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfarmer View Post
Yeah I was looking at the lmt but there was something about it I didn't like I forget right now. The colt is a cool idea but not sure if it will ideal for long range shooting. Is the 260 a better way to go? I know a 6.5 bullet is a great performer but never looked much into the 260.
Well I will tell you the MWS is heavy. But for what you're stated requirments are I think it would be perfect. I can run it as a blaster but, I will tell you what, after a day humping it in the ready position I will be very sore. I am getting the colt, but will be running it in a DMR/battle rifle role if I was looking at a static position shooter I would get the LMT.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hanford, California
Posts: 226
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

So the lmt over the larue obr? How's the trigger on the lmt? From what I read it was pretty heavy? Does lmt do a accuracy garentee?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: Up in the air on Ar-10 variant buy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfarmer View Post
So the lmt over the larue obr? How's the trigger on the lmt? From what I read it was pretty heavy? Does lmt do a accuracy garentee?
Gosh thats a hard call for me. They are both such good rifles. I have never handled or shot the OBR but it does have a hell of a rep for being a shooter with the match loadings. The Brits picked the LMT because it shot very well with Radway ball ammo at 800M. The LMT has a crazy amount of options and although the website does not list them yet they have allot more barrels comming out in 338 federal, 260 rem and 243 win.

The predator with the heavy obr barrel in it is hard to resist. Light weight frame with a heavy barrel. THey all have there up sides the OBR had 20moa built into the rail.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.19%
112 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.03%
204 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.84%
126 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 47.94%
407 Votes
Total Votes: 849
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC