Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Thinking about first AR...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Thinking about first AR...

I have never owned or even shot an AR. Never had the interest. For some reason I am now thinking about it. My biggest concern is sort of based on an assumption or preconceived notion of mine: "AR doesn't do anything particularly well, but everything pretty good". A jack of all trades, master of none. I always felt that if I could only have ONE rifle it would probably be an AR but since I am not limited to one, there really was no place in my life for one. Getting back on topic, my real concern is accuracy. I am currently looking at Sig M400 5.56mm. Probably, "Hunter" model with 20 inch barrel. Looking in the $1000-$1200 range for a rifle, adding Leupold VXII 4-12 (cause I have one on the shelf), is it reasonable to expect MOA or close to MOA accuracy out to say 300 yards out of the box after break-in? Or should I expect upgrades for that type of accuracy?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: Thinking about first AR...

If that is what you are looking for , I would point you towards the Rock River 20" varmint/predator rifle. The Rock river trigger is one of the best from the factory and I am including the single and 2 stage trigger in this statement. This rifle can be found for under $1100 with some searching. There quality it exceptional for mass produced rifle. If you were inclined yo spend a touch more the Fred Eichler model in the guns for sale, this is a nice setup and only needs optics and you'll have a tackdriver. Just for the record this is not my rifle for sale nor do I know the owner. I am partial to the6.5 grendel and do have sspares of them if you decide you want one big enough for med size game and superb accuracy.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Just about any quality upper with a good barrel will hold MOA with good ammo, if it's on an lower with a good trigger (at least in 223/556, some of the thumper AR chamberings open up a bit). Your Sig should be an MOA rifle if it's it got a good trigger. But as above, Sig is pretty proud of their stuff, as such, I think you can get more rifle for the same $$. Several makers guarantee MOA for that kind of $$. Even my old truck gun shoots MOA, and it's just an old RRA Coyote Carbine upper. Like any good rifle, you're mostly paying for a good "go" button and tube.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

I have an RRA Varminter, heavy stainless barrel. I put a Timney in it and a Viper 6.5-20 on it, it is a shooter.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM

I think RRA makes a solid AR especially for the money. I have one and then went to Larue at a touch more money. Based on my experience with the .223 Larue I ended up also getting the .308 OBR. My RRA still get shot a lot too and is a sub-MOA gun. I think once you get into the AR realm you will realize just how modular they are. You can set them up for virtually anything you have in mind and then expand to other calibers for even more options. The different set ups and different calibers on the same lower will allow you to have the same trigger pull and ergonomics across the spectrum of uppers.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

I agree with all the above. I have the RRA Coyote and it is as accurate as any bolt gun I own (within its range). Blew my mind.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Finally got my first AR. Black friday deal under $500.00 w/o a mag. Break in is tomorrow. Supposed to be 72 or so here tomorrow. SWEET!!!!!!!