Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Which scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Which scope?

Im looking at a nikon buckmasters 6-18 adjustable objective with milldot or a nikon m-223 for my ar-15. Anybody have a preference? The buckmaster is quite a bit cheaper but i want to make sure im not sacraficing too much. Id like to shoot out to 500 yards or so.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which scope?

I have three of the 4.5-14 Buckmaster mil-dots that I use for long range. The 6-18 has 1/8moa adjustments while the 4.5-14 has 1/4moa. I love mine. The optics are very good for the price, the adjustments works great. I have not seen the M-223 in use so have no opinion on those, but do not be afraid of the Buckmaster. I would not choose the 6-18 simply because of the 1/8moa. 1/4 works better for most applications. I would imagine the M223 will have better glass, so it's up to you as to what you are comfortable. I believe the mil-dot is only available from Midway.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

Either would make a fine scope for you. The M223 has better glass and more generous eye relief. Mil dot or fine duplex is the only way to go, I'd avoid the BDC reticle for longer stuff.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 AM

I have 2 as new nikons 6x18 mil dotd sf for sale, send me a pm if intrested. thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

I would opt for the m223 great scope and would not hesitate to get another. Nothing wrong with the others, just a step up
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman115 View Post
Im looking at a nikon buckmasters 6-18 adjustable objective with milldot or a nikon m-223 for my ar-15. Anybody have a preference? The buckmaster is quite a bit cheaper but i want to make sure im not sacraficing too much. Id like to shoot out to 500 yards or so.
I recently put the Nikon M-223 4x16x42 with a BDC on my Spikes 6.8 SPC. Nikon is offering a free 20 moa mount at this time. I zeroed the scope at 100 yards and was holding a nice group (4 inches) at 200 yards. I am not expecting a tack driver out of this 16 inch barrel but the scope is very nice. I particularly like the option of 16 power for the long range coyote and predator hunts. I highly recommend this scope. It comes with a anti-reflector for the front as well as flip up scope caps. You will especially like the quick easy target aquisition.

I have not print off the Nikon Spot On cheat sheet yet but look forward to having it in hand next time I go to the range.

I also bought the throw lever but it did not fit the 42 and for the price I will be sending it back.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

I would absolutely NOT recommend the M-223.
One member of our team, as well as a couple of our Facebook followers have had nothing but problems with the turrets.
They are VERY easy to bump off zero, now normally I would just deal with that, and make sure to dial back to "0" once you get ready to start shooting but surprisingly enough, they are also easy to bump into the "unlocked" position which allows the turrets to turn freely without manipulating the sighting system.
This is a huge problem, because there is no way to tell if the turret was on zero, when it became unlocked, or if it was already off zero when it became unlocked.

We looked at this issue pretty close and it's a pretty bad design flaw.
If you're just taking it to the range, go ahead, but make sure you inspect your turrets before you start shooting.

Not something I would consider after seeing the issues, and getting conformation from others as well.