Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

RRA National Match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM

RRA National Match

I am looking at a Rock River National Match with 20" bull barrel, does anyone here have one or know how well they hold up? Is the NM trigger any good?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: RRA National Match

I have 16 of them.

My first question is how much do you want to spend?

The RRA NM AR is a decent rifle; however, for just a bit more money you can get a much superior rifle. I recommend to all of my new shooters that they purchase a White Oak Armament service rifle upper with pinned sights. This can be mated to any lower. I generally recommend the RRA NM lower because it comes with a usable trigger. Next, I suggest that they send their trigger to White Oak to have it tuned. That makes it a much better trigger. Total cost: $750 for the upper, less than $300 for the lower, and $35 for the trigger tune. All in about $1100. This is a set-up that can carry you to national champion if you have the talent.

Getting back to the RRA NM AR. If you have a friend with an FFL, it should cost you about $850 - $900. Retail will be a bit more. Based upon my experience, you have a 1 in 3 chance that the rear sight will take more than a full turn of windage to sight it in. Also, the trigger will likely become unacceptable before your first 1000 or so rounds. That is why I recommend you send yours to White Oak no matter which route you take.

The RRA NM is a good factory rifle. That is why I have 16 for the Louisiana State Association and Junior Team. They shoot pretty well (sub MOA for sure), but they don't have the refinements of the WOA like the adjustable front sight and pinned rear sight. I also find that the WOA barrels, although they are the same brand as the RRA, are finished better on the interior (clean easier) and are chambered with more care.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Dan
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

Not taking anything away from WOA; but I believe you will find the RR NM trigger is an excellent trigger as is. If you want a lighter second stage; here's what I did and it works fine. Don't attempt to polish or ,horrors, stone the trigger surfaces! All I did was simply and easily replaced the spring in the disconnect with one .005 thinner. Same coils though. Not a good idea for cold or non-sensitive fingers either ! But for bench or just target shooting; it is very ,very light and won't double on you. At least it hasn't ever done it to me. When you go after sear surfaces or hammer springs; things will go bad in short order. As long as the disconnect has the pressure to do it's thing, all is well. Which says; after a while, just like most triggers in ARs, you'll find the spring weakening and will need replacing.
As for RR rifles, I've not heard any complaints. Most AR makers today have good barrels. I bought a DPMS that I thought I'd have trouble with as it came very dirty from them. They explained they shoot it at least ten times and then only run a bore snake through it. It took a long time to get the copper out; but it is one sweet shootin AR 10 in 260 Rem !
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Woodnut,

Your recommendation concerning the trigger would be a problem if the OP intends to use the rifle for what it was designed - service rifle shooting. For that, the minimum pull weight is 4.5 lbs.

Also, if you have never heard any complaints about the RRA, your sample size is too small. They are good factory rifles but they have their issues (or at last a decent percentage of them (1/3))
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies, the money is not a problem. I do not intend to shoot competition with the AR, I will do some bench shooting but not in a competitive match. I want the AR for hunting, plinking and a "go to" if the need arises. I am not a top notch shooter but want an AR that will perform well, has quality components and is capable of accuracy I can attempt to utilize.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

DZelenka, you are correct in that IF the OP was to shoot service rifle comps; you can't do what I suggested and be eligible . However, he did not state that purpose and later has said it is for target, plinking, hunting and "go to" if needed.
You are also right in that my sample size is possibly small; consisting of forum chatter and friends. I will, however, say that some of those complainers may have bought a gun for one purpose and it was the wrong choice; and they complained. Or they expected way more than they should; and complained. I still stand by my observations in that MOST AR builders have fine ARs with very good barrels. I don't think you should expect a pencil size barrel to do the job of a heavy weight; nor visa versa; which happens and they then complain. If, however, something doesn't actually work properly; ie. trigger malfunctions, feeding is flawed, fit is too sloppy, etc., then a complaint is legit in MHO. Have not read about such on any forums and know of none firsthand; but that's again, my small sample size. You said RR has a 1 out of three getting complaints? Where , and I'm not saying it's not true, did you get your statistics? I honestly don't know much about RR; but only have "heard" good things. I own a DPMS AR 10 and several RR lowers and none have given me any problems nor any of my friends who have them. But again, must be my small sample size; and I mean that as an honest fact not quibbling with you.
So, TxBroke, you still need to look about. Use your forums, friends, dealers to guide you. One will fit very well; others will also do the job you want. I'm kinda in the same quandary, I think I want a 223 for fast handing for yote and fox shooting but haven't figured what barrel length and weight I will be happiest with. I'm leaning towards 20" as min. and a mid weight with 9 twist. That way I figure accuracy and handling will be well acceptable without sacrificing too much speed. Good luck (to both of us).
Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Appreciate your input, I did not state the 1 of 3, DZelenka made that observation. I have never had an AR made for civilians, my experience with the military model was less than steller and I have been hesitant to purchase one. My knowledge of the AR would not fill a thimble and what I do not know would take up a couple of large football stadiums. I am grateful for any and all info and guidance I can get.