Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

RRA Coyote Rifle/Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

RRA Coyote Rifle/Carbine

Really close to pullin the trigger on one of these two rifles. Looking for some range results and other helpful info.

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: RRA Coyote Rifle/Carbine

I cannot speak to that exact rifle but there barrels are great. I have a 20" bull barrel on my wife ar and it shoots clay bird out to 468yd so far. I would believe that that rifle would be just as good.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

All the AR rifles, and parts are pretty close to Mil spec/compatability standards, especially AR15s

I started using RRA parts, switching from DPMS parts. I've built more RRA based rifles now. They have decent, quality control, and I have had measurably better satisfaction.

I can't tell you wich to get. Get wich ever tickles your fancy better. I'd go with 20/22/24" barrel, full, not bull. That's me though.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM

I have a RRA coyote rifle that shot great,(2" or less at 200yds.) when I first got it.
On its second prairie dog shooting trip it went from shooting great to awful in the middle of a magazine.

I usually only shot it when the targets were plentiful, dumb and not much over 300yds.
After getting it home I couldn't find any problem. I don't live too far from the factory and have someone who works there that will take it back for me.
The said the crown had a nick in it and would be fine now.
Wrong, I tried some Black Hills match and still no go.

After another trip to the factory without any improvement I put it in the back of the safe and haven't tried any thing else.

I have two RRA uppers with the varmint barrels, a 16" I use to shoot out of the truck and a 24" off a bench.
They have been shot hot, dirty and a lot without any problem.

I have a great gunsmith that I'am sure could fix the problem but I thought RRA should take care of it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

I have the RRA Coyote rifle and I love it. Most days I can get sub .5 MOA out of it!

I didn't want the carbine because of blast reasons mostly the extra velocity can't hurt either. I shoot 65 Sierra Game Kings in mine so far with great success.

~HF~

"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...".

Romans 8:28

http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/huntinfool/
Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Update on Coyote Rifle

The dealer that sold it to me hadn't been around for a while due to health problems and I had been talking to his son in law.

He was at a gun show I went to today and told he told me to bring it back and he would put on a new barrel or whatever it took to fix it.

Last edited by woody41; 03-27-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

I was in the same place about 18 months ago, what I did was bought a stripped lower for 75.00, a lower parts kitfor 70, and an ace skeleton stock for 70, the book by Walt Kulek "The ar-15 complete assembly guide vol 2. Ordered the completed RRA coyote rifle upper from them for 575, and for 740.00 I had a very good shoot Ar,...the only difference is the trigger single stage, vs rra two stage and the winter trigger guard. I plan on updating the trigger in the future.
I but the savings into optics vs buying a complete rifle for 1200.00
If you are mechanically inclined at all it really isn't difficult especially with the book to guide you.

By only comment about the coyote rifle vs coyote carbine is the 20" rifle is barrel heavy, balancing point is in the front of the gun,...the other issue I've had is using a tactical sling over the shoulder under the opposite arm with the 20" barrel If I kneel down to look at sign/tracks I have to be careful not to jam the barrel into the ground/dirt/snow

I'm working on my second one now it is a 6 position collabsible stock and I'm leaning towards the RRA ATH carbine for that which is 3/4 of a pound litgher, has a shorter 18" barrel.

Either will meet your needs,...I would think about how are you going to use it, coyote hunting in cover calling, or target/ pd shooting esentially off a bench? How far will you be carrying it on a outing?