Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Rifles to avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifles to avoid?

Although this is not what to avoid my Rock River Varmint is amazing. My buddy was badmouthing AR accuracy so we went to the range and I put 12 rounds at 3/4" at 100 yds. The amazing part is I suck at rifle shooting, I'm old, and I was shooting a US Optics 1-8 SRC while he was shooting his bolt gun with a 3-12 on it. Of course since my rifle wasn't broken I had to fiddle with it by taking the RR stage trigger out and putting in a two stage Geissele in it. Guess we will see what happens next range trip.

Not slamming bolt guns at all I have way more of them than AR's, but there are some fine shooting AR's out there.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 PM

My nephew has CZ. I've heard nothing but good things about them. But the AR is filling a little different slot for me. More of a handy defensive carbine and plinker than a bench rest, last degree of accuracy.

After shooting a few different guns, and looking at a lot, I ordered a Colt LE 6940.
I really liked the 6920s I shot, but the fold down front sight on the 6940 would allow mounting a scope or maybe an Aimpoint sight at lower profile.

The 6940 is under 7 lbs. Weight and general handiness was a factor. I already have an M1A wheelbarrow gun. I found the AR ergonomically O.K. for me. It seems to point naturally and maintain a fairly steady point. My M1A is a bit "muzzle nervous' and likes to a firm rest.

I went with the .223 rather than an AR10, although I like the .308, and it has 2X the muzzle energy. My wife and daughter will also be shooting it. They are small framed and recoil averse. Also, .308 availability has been spotty. I used to get Fed 168 BTHP, and Black Hills for $15-17 per box. Now it's $25-27 unless you order online, and I can't even find Black Hills anymore. So 30 rounds of .223 (10.47 for Federal/ American Eagle) for less than half the price of 20 rounds of .308 is a factor.

The Colt 6920s I tried out grouped nicely with iron sights, and a cool barrel. By "nicely" I mean under 1 in. @ 75 yds, 5 shots. At 100 yards and more, my eyes need a scope. The ARs I've seen other people shoot, RRAs, and owner built-up jobs seem to all shoot decent groups. Will an AR carbine keep up with a top tier bolt gun with 6-10" more barrel?, No, I'm sure they would not. But on the other hand, you'd get tennis elbow trying to replicate the AR's firepower with a bolt gun. I agree the stock triggers aren't great but not sure I'd want a 2 lb. trigger on a defense type gun. The Geissele trigger is an option.

Of the more expensive stuff out there, I thought hard about an LMT. The interchangeable bbl concept had me thinking. But they fetch a real premium. And to take advantage of the interchangeable bbl. you'd need to buy extra bbls. Then you're talking a real load of $$. Enough to buy two Colts.

So, getting the LE 6940. If it turns out to be a keeper, I'll post a follow up.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 PM

If you want a rifle that will shoot from the start--get a Rock River 20 or 24 inch heavy barrel varmint model with match trigger, flat top--1-8 twist, should handle most bullet weights----install a good quality scope---You will never need to buy another and will never be unhappy.
I have several, not a bad shooter in the bunch, 100 yrd ragged hole groups when I do my part!!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 AM

AR's are a battle riffle that so many have had an "affair" with while in the service. Now if it's Your girl, and you don't have to leave her behind. The dreams of adorning her just the way she strikes your fancy is what it's all about. Now with many of us, this fun and lust has rubbed off on friends and family. Makes for a wonderful common bond.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 AM

I have a dpms bull 20 upgraded with ambi controls and hiperfire trigger. Lead in the stock and a new grip. Supposedly came with the mil spec bolt and feed ramps. The gun has zero slop between upper and lowers. It looks really good shoots just as good. I will put it up against any ar that costs triple what mine did. I think the 1.9 twist is best. Faster twists means single loading. 20 inch barrel is best compromise between weight/ease of handling/velocity. They are pretty much a grown up ruger 10/22. Options are endless.

BTW never had an issue with "doubling" and 90% of the shells I shot have been reloaded. Maybe 1 out of 10 million do that
Old 05-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Bronze Member

I have a RRA predator pursuit with the 20 inch barrel. A little heavy but shoots great. Very accurate for an AR.