Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Range Report: DPMS GII Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Range Report: DPMS GII Bull

How's it going guys? This rifle was recently released at the Shot Show a month ago and I couldn't find any reviews so I thought I'd do one for you curious shooters, cause I recently was one also. The Gen II is a new design, not your standard AR-10 but I'm sure most of you seen it. If not, check out DPMS website to read about it a little more. I took the gamble and bought the DPMS GII Bull, ordered it a couple weeks ago and received it the other day. Finally got to shoot this gun today and I'm impressed but this is my first a/r so I'm no expert at all. Just wanted to share what I experienced at the range since this is such a new gun with no reviews. I'll start off with mentioning I had no issues with this gun, it fed everything from cheap Magtech ammo to the Hornady Match ammo I gave it. The gun is still heavy but I'll take it considering it's a pound lighter than the original LR-308. I threw on a Millett scope, Weaver Picatinny rings, cleaned it and headed out of town. After I sighted it in with some ball ammo I threw in the 168 gr. Hornady Match ammo to see what type of groups I can get. I shot it prone with a sandbag in the rear at 100 yards. It shot a .368 inch group. Was surprised it shot so well with this ammo, I made an adjustment on my scope and shot 6 eggs in a row. Sun was going down and I wanted to see what it will do at 500 so I quickly moved the target and used my rangefinder until I was 500 yards out. Made my adjustments according to my drop chart and let three go. Drove up to the target and seen I had a pretty decent group (for my shooting). It is pictured below in my pictures I attached. I ran out of sunlight so unfortunately I didn't get to test this rifle anymore. I was also doing a bore break in so this took a majority of my time before I started grouping it. For a first day out I have a good feeling that this GII is a good buy but it is only the first day out so this impression can change. I know there are a lot of mixed emotions with this rifle due to the lighter weight but 10 lbs is still heavy in my opinion. I will be shooting this as much as I can to see if there are any malfunctions with the gun and will continue this review as time goes on. I also want to extend the range when I get more time to shoot which should be this week or weekend for sure. I would like to get a lot more rounds through it before I have my final impression on the gun but as for now, it's a shooter. Hope to hear what you guys think, look forward to hearing your words. I know I left out a lot so if you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer with what I noticed while shooting this rifle. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Range Report: DPMS GII Bull-img_20140216_222252.jpg   Range Report: DPMS GII Bull-img_20140216_222704.jpg  

Range Report: DPMS GII Bull-img_20140217_182613_942.jpg   Range Report: DPMS GII Bull-img_20140217_201700_429.jpg  

Range Report: DPMS GII Bull-img_20140218_010803_591.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Re: Range Report: DPMS GII Bull

What kind of scope is this mounted on the GII?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Bronze Member

That is some fine shooting my man, be sure and work a load up for that stick and post some more range pics. Congrats on a fine rifle.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Bronze Member

I'm looking at the gen2 hunter right now. Also RRA LAR-8 predator HP. Any more experience with either of these?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Nice rifle. Nice job on the report. I just put together a DPMS 16" bull barrel. It's a cool little rifle. You're destined to have many great outtings with that.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowelk View Post
What kind of scope is this mounted on the GII?
"I threw on a Millett scope, Weaver Picatinny rings"
Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Millett LRS on my Creedmoor. It has done a decent job as the place holder. I have ordered a new Burris XTR 11 4-20x50. When it gets here the Millett goes on the 22-250.