I made it to the range today to shoot the Accuracy Systems 300 SAUM upper I had built. Here is what I had them build:
Complete new flat top upper, stainless barrel 1X12 twist 24" plus brake.
I had the barrel fluted, a 3 port Maxi Brake, and a quad forend .
Cost was $2099 (expensive I know) and it was delivered within the 8 week estimated time frame.
This is a nice piece of work and it shoots well under their guarantee of 1 MOA!
Today was 101 degrees when I headed to the range. All targets were shot at 200 yards..
Proir to going to the range I had thoughly cleaned the barrel using solvent and gray JB compound recommended by Accuracy Systems. I used the JB compound in three different applications. I also mounted a Leupold LR 8.5x25 scope on the rifle and attached my DPMS 300 SAUM lower with the JP trigger to the upper.
Once I arrived at the range I bore sighted the rifle and fired 3 fouling shots to get sighted in.
First up was 180 gr Accubonds with 65 grains of Reloder 22 powder and a 215M primer. All fired rounds were seated magazine length.
The wind was not strong, but the mirage was running strong. I ingnored it as for as compensating for it on any of the shooting.
I fired 2 shots and could not see where they impacted the target until the mirage slowed down and changed directions. Once this happened, I could see the two shots and later determined that they were 1.887" vertically and 1/2" wide. I put this rifle aside to let it cool and shot something else while I waited.
Once the barrel cooled, I fired two shots (all I had of this load) with same load except for the bullet was a 180 Hornady IL. These two shots were .835 inches tall by 1/2" wide.
I then fired 3 shots using 64 grains of Reloader 22 with 165 Hornady IL and 215M primers. These three were 1.124 wide by .893 tall.
The brake made the rifle easy to shoot. I would compare it to a 243 with an 80 gr bullet.
I did not take the chrony with me today, but I expect these loads should be around 2900 Fps for the 180's and 3000+ for the 165's. Not hot loads. All were shot in
I will get some pictures of the rifle and provide the weight in a later post. A copy of the upper can be seen on Accuracy Systems website as a 325 WSM upper, but with the Maxi brake
Needless to say I am pleased with the outcome on this project. I will repeat this test with the same loads in the next couple of weeks.
Last edited by long450; 07-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Reason: Pictur added
The 1x12 was what Accuracy Systems recommended. It shoots very accurate with 190 SMK, and down bullets, which was used in their test target of 3 shots in .165 inchs. That is very accurate. They did not say how they test it, other than factory ammo with 190 SMK at 100 yards. . The magazine is a limiting factor on the AR 10. The large heavier bullets take up too much case powder capacity.
Man that is a nice rifle. It inspired me to inquire a quote to convert my existing upper. $500 to rechamber my .308 (zoinks!) or $700 for a barrel (jenkies!), $100 to open the ejection port, and $200 for the bolt (Ruh-roh Raggie!). I can see how you paid $2100 for an upper.
Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.
The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.