Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

A/R problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Bronze Member

A/R problem

Here is the deal. I ordered a AR from a builder who builds some fine rifles. I called and talked to him several times before I ordered the rifle. Anyway I ordered the rifle the 5th of January. I paid for the A/R in full with a delivery date of 1 April. I am a pretty patient guy anyway 1 April came and went with nothing from the builder on the 7th I called apparently the lowers he ordered were not built to his specs so he sent them back. 1 May I called again and the lowers r supposed to be back anytime. Finally I email/text/call and get a response he says the was a problem with powder coating and it's being redone now. Oh in the mean time there is a medical problem with spouse. It's over 45 days late. I told him all along I needed it for a p-dog hunt next weekend. I have every thing else ready to go minus the rifle. When do I turn into a A-hole to him and go after getting my money back? Am I not being reasonable? I have had several other guns built without a 45+ day delay. What would you guys do?

I don't want to be a ***** but I sure can be...........
Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: A/R problem

Is this builder in Arizona?If so PM me
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post
Here is the deal. I ordered a AR from a builder who builds some fine rifles. I called and talked to him several times before I ordered the rifle. Anyway I ordered the rifle the 5th of January. I paid for the A/R in full with a delivery date of 1 April. I am a pretty patient guy anyway 1 April came and went with nothing from the builder on the 7th I called apparently the lowers he ordered were not built to his specs so he sent them back. 1 May I called again and the lowers r supposed to be back anytime. Finally I email/text/call and get a response he says the was a problem with powder coating and it's being redone now. Oh in the mean time there is a medical problem with spouse. It's over 45 days late. I told him all along I needed it for a p-dog hunt next weekend. I have every thing else ready to go minus the rifle. When do I turn into a A-hole to him and go after getting my money back? Am I not being reasonable? I have had several other guns built without a 45+ day delay. What would you guys do?

I don't want to be a ***** but I sure can be...........

You consider yourself patient? I've had AR uppers wth no special factory options take as much as 10 months. Others who have ordered rifles are in the queue in front of you. Who get's their's first?
Nearly all "complete rifle" gunsmiths are dependent on their suppliers of barrels, receivers, bolts, etc. Threats any kind are likely to move you to the end of the list. If he's a GOOD gunsmith he's very busy. You can get mediocre ARs off the shelf at any gunshop..

What would I do?
I'd take one of my small bore bolt action rifles to the PD hunt. It will likely shoot better than the AR anyway.
Surely you didn't sell your only other rifle to buy the AR and leave yourself with no rifle at all.
A 257 Wby is overkilll for PDs but so what?
Be patient and enjoy your AR when it eventually arrives.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Bronze Member

I built mine during the outage of stock (2013). I ordered a barrel knowing I would have to wait forever for it. I waited eight months and looking back that gave me time and money to research the rest of my build. Anyone can build an AR-15, you tube has it all. However your builder has experience and tools you may not have. Such as truing the front face of the receiver. Sorry about your hunt but it sounds like you didn't allow enough time to break in a new rifle and work out a dope chart anyway.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like "your guy" might be going out of business???? Try to get your money back since you won't have your rifle in time for your hunt. The internet can be very helpful. Before I ordered my new 18" varmint upper from White Oak Armament I checked out as many builders I could find and WOA was the "ONLY" one that I never read "ANY" complaints about their service, wait time or especially their accuracy. I ordered mine on 2-10-14 and at that time I was told that I should get it in the middle of May. It was delivered 5-15-14 to my home. It also shoots 5 shot groups way under 1/2" at 100 yds. Oh I also had the barrel fluted under the hand guard and on the end of the barrel to save some weight. - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=261&page=1

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
A/R problem-new-upper-.jpg   A/R problem-new-upper-1-.jpg  

A/R problem-woa-barrel-end-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Where do you guys live that you need to have someone "build" and A/R? There are a zillion quality A/R on the web that will shoot as good if not better than a custom job....
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Biggest problem here is that you paid in-full up-front. Next time you do something like this, arrange it so that it is payment on delivery.

As for what you should do now, depending on if you want to go down this road, tell him you're cancelling the order because it is well past delivery and you want your money back.