Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Painted Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Painted Rifles

Here is mine which I painted with Krylon rattle cans. It was my first attempt at painting a stock.

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Popguns stock is finished. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Painted Rifles-pst-2.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Bronze Member

Get some vinyl and wrap the scope. Same kind for window stickers. Comes right off and doesnt mess up a 2-3k optic;

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
All home done cerakote.

Here's my .243WSSM with the first pattern I gave her a few years ago. It's a desert version of multicam

My Aramalite 300 SAUM done in solid FDE... will get a pattern this spring/summer. Something in a two tone I think. Probably do the upper, lower and hand guard in Smiths Brown to match the new stripped upper/lower set I have, but might make the barrel and furniture something different.

My 7mm Rem Mag Match has a hydrodipped stock, but all the metal work is two tone cerakote. Federal Standard Field Drab and Smiths Brown.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Bronze Member

Well I have bought numerous small bottles of paint, some stencils and an airbrush .Does anyone have any tips on duracoating. I have seen a lot of nice painted rifles but I have not seen any bad ones. Does that mean they all turn out perfect? I really do not want to be the first.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

I can't help with the "DuraCoat" part, I used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II and that worked perfect.

Be sure to put plenty of thought into what you want your predominant color to be, dark or light, and then make a game plan of what you want as your base color and then what order your next layers of color will be and how much you want to tape off.

What kind of scheme are you going with (traditional camo, digital, kryptek, etc)?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckytylr View Post
I can't help with the "DuraCoat" part, I used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II and that worked perfect.

Be sure to put plenty of thought into what you want your predominant color to be, dark or light, and then make a game plan of what you want as your base color and then what order your next layers of color will be and how much you want to tape off.

What kind of scheme are you going with (traditional camo, digital, kryptek, etc)?
I am going to try a desert camo scheme. I was thinking of a light grey base followed with a darker brown, darker grey and black. worst case if I mess up is stripe the gun down and have the parts bead blasted and re-anodized and start over.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

I did my 22-250 with krylon and the sponge method. After spraying the light coat I sprayed the sponges with heavy coats and just daped it on. After it dried I sprayed matte clear over it. It has held up very good.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
I did my 22-250 with krylon and the sponge method. After spraying the light coat I sprayed the sponges with heavy coats and just daped it on. After it dried I sprayed matte clear over it. It has held up very good.
Very nice