Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Painted Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

Painted Rifles

Let's see 'em. If you have painted a black gun . . . post up some pics please with what kind of paint you used and how much effort it took.

I have painted a Remington 700 factory stock with Aluma-Hyde. Super easy and it's held up well so far.

I have plans to paint my new AR when I'm done building it. Want to know what paint sticks best to metal and what preparation is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Painted Rifles

All home done cerakote.

Here's my .243WSSM with the first pattern I gave her a few years ago. It's a desert version of multicam

My Aramalite 300 SAUM done in solid FDE... will get a pattern this spring/summer. Something in a two tone I think. Probably do the upper, lower and hand guard in Smiths Brown to match the new stripped upper/lower set I have, but might make the barrel and furniture something different.

My 7mm Rem Mag Match has a hydrodipped stock, but all the metal work is two tone cerakote. Federal Standard Field Drab and Smiths Brown.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Bronze Member

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckytylr View Post

Looks great! But this is supposed to be show and tell, not just show. I'm wondering what your stencil is made of, and a little about the process.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you, my apologies for skimping on the description. I wasn't sure that I'd even get any lookie-lous.

It's pretty simple really. I googled Kryptek Camo Pattern Stencil in Google Images and found this.

Kryptek | REPTILEHOUSEBLOG

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of paying for something that I can do myself, so I "borrowed" the patterns by "screenshot" and pasting into an Adobe File. I simply printed these to standard 8.5 x 11 paper and taped them to sign painters vinyl (stickers). Then I used an Xacto knife to cut through the paper stencil and the top layer of the vinyl.

Rifle Prep - I am by no means an expert on this and I'm wondering if I didn't do a good enough job. My AR was brand new when I started this, so I was worried about how smooth the surface was and whether or not there were any factory applied chemicals that would interfere with paint adherence. I took the redneck approach to this problem and just scuffed up the surface of the rifle, scope and rings with some emory cloth. It took me about 3 hours to tape off the scope and all of the areas of the rifle that I didn't want paint (holes and ports). Then I sprayed a full can of Brake cleaner, wiped it down and sprayed about half a can of Krylon Paint Prep (similar to brake cleaner but is advertised to leave no residue and is specifically designed for painting).

First coat of Paint was the Brownells AlumaHyde II in Desert Tan - I coated the entire rifle with one even coat (as thin as I could make it). Then I let it completely dry for a few days. Next, I applied all of my stencils and started spraying over the stencils with Earth Brown and a green from Krylon. Once those colors dried, I removed stencils and then sprayed some more green and brown (just a light dusting) to break up the harsh lines. This last step isn't represented in the photo as I did that after the photo.

Anyway, this was my first attempt at the Kryptek theme. If I were to do it again, I'd LOVE to buy an old oven so I can use an airbrush and the Ceracote products as I think a baked finish would be more durable and the airbrush would allow for much more detail in the camo pattern.

Thanks for looking.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanx. The sign painters stickers are a great idea, I'll have to try it. I'm planning on trying the air dry Ceracoat vs the oven cure for the same "lack of an old crappy oven".