Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Nikon m223 scope mount?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

Nikon m223 scope mount?

I thought I might save a few bucks and try the Nikon M223 scope mount for my new Bison 6.8SPC AR. But I've never delt with scoping an AR before. Has anyone tried one? If guys haven't liked em, I'll just get a Larue. But for a third the price, the Nikon had better suck pretty bad. What do you fellas think?
Thanx
Cody
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Nikon m223 scope mount?

Have the M223 scope with a Burris PEPR. heard nothing but good things about the Burris PEPR (about $90 @ Midway). All good. They came out with a quick detach model also for about $10 more.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiicgun View Post
Have the M223 scope with a Burris PEPR. heard nothing but good things about the Burris PEPR (about $90 @ Midway). All good. They came out with a quick detach model also for about $10 more.
Thanx, I'll give it a look.
Cody
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM

The one that I had sucked. I had to return it because the base was machined incorrectly and wouldn't clamp down parallell to the bore, so much so that I was out of windage adjustment and couldn't zero my rifle. Luckily midway took care of me and even refunded the shipping because the item was defective. Take a look at American Defense bases: https://www.primaryarms.com/American...1-20%20moa.htm

For $60 more its a hell of a base. I've looked into them extensively and have found from my research they are better than LaRue and actually return to zero. Although I've never owned one, I would buy this with confidence that it will work.

I ended up just buying TPS 300mm extra tall rings for my AR since I don't need 20 MOA untill I shoot out past 800 yards, which I never do anyway. 600 is about the farthest I shoot with my AR, anything more and I'll grab the .308. The scope on my AR is Leupold's new VX-R Patrol 3x9x40 with 1/10 mil/mil. You might want to look into that if you ever consider selling your Nikon.

Hope this helped, Dennis
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Dennis, That is the first Nikon M-223 AR Mount I have heard of not working correctly. They are produced by a very well known and respected mount manuf. that has been in the business for a long time. I guess eventually there's going to be one to fail, like I said, your's was the first. I am glad to hear Midway took care of you. They have great customer service and that definitely help's their business.
I have been using these Mount's on all my AR's and turned many folk's on to them and all were very happy. New disgnation's for 2012, M-223 Mount no longer has 20 MOA built into it. The M-223 XR MOunt has the 20 MOA built into it. We also have a new P-Series mount that is coming out, 2 piece AR mount which will work great for guy's on a budget retainling for under $50.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...940/dpms-5.jpg
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Im sure I just got a lemon but I did have some problems with the way it was designed. The clamp was machined separate from the base probably to cut costs. This means it almost certainly wont return to zero after taking it off and putting it back on. My point isn't to bash nikons product or midway but just to bring to light some design flaws and possible problems others may have. For the money it really isn't a bad mount but for a little more money you can get a better one. I've owned 3 nikon scopes and liked them all, but personally I would use a different base if I were to be in the market for one again. It really comes down to user preference; if you don't plan to remove it once mounted it would be fine but I regularly switch from scope to irons and back again. Plus I guess you could say i'm a little picky.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

This one will get mounted and stay there, as it's a dedicated hunting gun. Plus my eyesight sucks too much to run irons for shots further away than I can throw a rock (actually not even that far). I assume Nikon warranties their mounts the same as their glass, (maybe Bman could shed a little more light on the that for me) I think I'll steal a Monarch off one of my plinking sticks, so I thought the M223 mount would be a natural choice. But I'm still open to other ideas. I would kinda like something made in the USA, but I'm kind of a cheap ass too, so the best bang for the buck will be the deciding factor.
Thanx again for the input guys,
Cody

Last edited by threejones; 02-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.