Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Re: New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

Chuckmaster,

I just had to reply when I read your description of the cases being hard to eject and some rounds not firing. I just had the same exact issue on my Dtech 25 wssm, ar-15 upper. Most rounds would not go off though the primer was dented. As it turns out I had set the shoulders back too far on the cases. They were going too deep in the chamber and the ejector could not engage properly on the case head. For some reason the charging handle was very hard to pull back to eject the case just like what you wrote. I immediately trashed those cases when I figure out what the issue was.

Once I set-up my full length sizing die to only bump the shoulder, the problem went away entirely and I now have complete reliability.

I had never had this issue before so it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Hope this helps.

Last edited by hol37748; 03-26-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

hol37748

Unfortunately I don't have any of the suspect cartridges left to measure, but I don't understand why this problem was sparatic. I bought 500 rds of once fired brass, resized them all, trimmed them all, and then reloaded them. That is when I found the problem of not being able to shoot or eject some of the rounds.

I have since bought the new RCBS small base dies and have had zero problems. I had suspected that the old Pacific FL die was the issue, but didn't understand as to how or why. It seemed it would have been all or nothing, not every so often.

Thanks for the advise on the shoulder and I will sometime take some spent brass and run it through the Pacific die and check the for the shoulder being pushed too far.

Jim