Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

Has anyone been using the new 223 Rem/5.56x45 small base dies? I occasionally have an issue with some of my brass not chanbering and from what I have read so far this die helps eliminate some of these problems.

I am shoting a DPMS lo-pro classic and hate it when a cartridge doesn't chamber correctly.

Any infor is greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New RCBS AR Series Reloading Dies

Jim,

Haven't tried the new RCBS series, but there's rarely a need to resort to Small Base dies, at least with most die makers. Redding tends to run theirs on the tight side anyway, and it's rare that an AR won't cycle and function just fine with brass sized in them. Had pretty much the same experience with the other RCBS dies I've used in ARs; run them all the way down until the brass gages correctly, and you should be good to go.

I don't know what, if anything, RCBS did differently in this series, but I'd guess there ay be some marketing hype to the package. Normal dies should do just fine. I'll give them a call next week or so and see what they have to say about what makes these dies "different."
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

I also was thinking about trying those new dies.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the response and offering to call RCBS on these. I haev a really old FL die set that was made by Pacific and have questioned the quality since I started reloading this calibur last summer. I bought a bunch of once fired brass, full length sized all of the brass, then trimmed all of them. I have numberous cases that would feed, but not fire and them have to pull with a tremendous amount of effort to get them to eject.

I set this die up the same way that I have for any of my centerfires which includes a few wildcats. Maybe just changing to RCBS of Redding FL dies would cure this, but being so new to an AR style gun I didn't know if there was something that I was missing.

Jim
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

In 223/5.56, I've been using the RCBS SB die for a couple of years, I've never had a failure ro chamber, in ARs.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

Difficulty in ejecting a chambered but unfired round usually indicates a body the wasn't adequately sized. If you're headpasce is good, and you're bumping the shoulders back by .003"-.005" and still getting this, then I'd probably be looking a trying another die. Hard to say without seeing it, but that's my suspicion. The should chamber every bit as easily as factory, unfired rounds, and come right back out the same way. No sticking, to fighting the charging handle, no resistance.

See if you can size some up in a buddy's 223 F/L die, and see if that resolves the problem. If so, there's the culprit and you know the solution.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

Not a AR15 but a M1A in the .308 caliber and when I purchased the rifle I asked My sales/dealer about reloading dies,He told Me to go with only small base dies so I had Him order the dies,I have not had a problem one with cycling/ejection of the spent brass,I also own an AR10 and have not had any problems with that rifle either.
Small Base dies only for reloading the auto/semiauto Military style rifles.
That is My 02 worth.