Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

New to AR world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

New to AR world

I am hoping to pick up my new ar next week. I have owned numerous guns before but never an ar. Just wondering what you suggest I do when I bring it home. I assume to take it down clean it good and oil? I assume barrel break in is the same as bolt, fire-clean and repeat? Any helpful tips would be appreciated!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: New to AR world

Welcome to the fascinating world of the ARs! I think it wouldn't hurt a bit to break it in like you said. I would advise using some light oil on the carrier and locking lugs at each shooting session. Mine seem to operate better "wet". Not so much, just oil it and work in in then shoot. You might want a brass catcher,too. 3BUCC makes a fine one. Hope you have ammo!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Welcome to the fascinating world of the ARs! I think it wouldn't hurt a bit to break it in like you said. I would advise using some light oil on the carrier and locking lugs at each shooting session. Mine seem to operate better "wet". Not so much, just oil it and work in in then shoot. You might want a brass catcher,too. 3BUCC makes a fine one. Hope you have ammo!
deleted
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittrgittr View Post
I am hoping to pick up my new ar next week. I have owned numerous guns before but never an ar. Just wondering what you suggest I do when I bring it home. I assume to take it down clean it good and oil? I assume barrel break in is the same as bolt, fire-clean and repeat? Any helpful tips would be appreciated!
The best thing you can do once you get your new AR home is lube it. AR15 RIFLES LIKE TO BE RUN WET. Not dripping mind you but well lubbed. There is a whole world of "stuff" marketed to AR15 owners. Some of it is good kit and some of it is cheap garbage. Before you invest in any of that stuff, go shoot the snot out your rig and get a good feel for it. Don't abuse it but don't baby it either. Then you will have a better idea of what accessories will meet your needs. As far as break in goes, some swear by it and some say its hog wash. Get a good coated or carbon fiber cleaning rod and a bore guide. cleaning an AR isn't rocket science but you don't want to jack up your rig. One other thing.......WELCOME TO THE BLACK RIFLE SICKNESS. its the funnest disease you will ever have.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I think you will find the AR to be pleasant surprise in it's capabilities and get hooked on the platform like millions of others. I agree with the prior posts on the basic aspects of lubricating the action properly. It's a very versatile platform, and any additional advice will be based on what type of configuration you have, and the type of shooting you are planning on doing with it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Congrats! Now you are just one of those "evil" assault rifle owners. It gets worse from here---before you know it, you'll have to go and purchase a SOCOM.

In all seriousness, get yourself a book on AR's. Amazon.com has a bunch of them but they will help you with assembly, nomenclature, etc. Really good info especially if you are new to the "black" world.
Try "The AR-15 complete assembly guide" by Walt Kuleck.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittrgittr View Post
What kind is it? what are you using it for, hunting, target, CQB? they all get cleaned and lubed but the care I take with a CQB gun is alot different than one I want to squeeze acuracy out of.