Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Need advise on first AR Platform build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need advise on first AR Platform build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
No, the R-15 is just Remington's version of the AR15. It's actually even made by Bushmaster.
The only difference you'll have is that your new upper won't have a matching camo pattern which leaves you two options. (ok three options)

Either strip your complete rifle and have it refinished to match what you're new upper will probably look like. Either black or tan or whatever

Have your new upper 'hydrodipped' in the pattern that your R-15 already has so that it will match the lower.

or just leave the new upper alone...it'll be two tone, but who cares..it's just a gun.
A big plus one. I dumped the best stuff I could get into my lower, knowing that I'd really only "need" one lower, and that I'd only need to spend the $$$ on the lower once (with Geissle trigger prices, once is enough... but still worth it). I have a couple different uppers that I swap around on the same lower. My calling upper is FDE w/camo, looks odd on a black lower, but not a single coyote has ever laughed at it. Having uppers in different calibers is pretty handy too, especially when the trigger, cheek weld, etc is always exactly the same. 5.56 for the range and the yotes, 6.8SPC when deer/wolf season opens.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM

The AR15 platform will handle many different calibers. The lower receiver will work with all of them so invest in a good lower with a good trigger assembly. There are several out there. Google reviews for the triggers and get other peoples feedback. Get a stock that is comfortable for you.
Each caliber will require it's own upper with the appropriate barrel and bolt carrier group. Some calibers can use the same bolt. For instance the .223/5.56 and the .300 AAC Blackout use the same BCG but the 6.5 Grendel uses a different bolt. Once again a little research will let you know which ones require a special bolt. The same goes for magazines. Some are interchangeable other require a specific magazine.
There is a lot of information out there so do lots of reading to help you decide which combo work for you.
This is a fun platform and easy to customize.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheard50 View Post
The AR15 platform will handle many different calibers. The lower receiver will work with all of them so invest in a good lower with a good trigger assembly.
Unless you want to run the 22-250.
You'll likely need an Olympic Arms UMAR lower or complete rifle...but you're looking at at least a year long wait, unless you find one on places like Gunbroker or the Classifieds.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
Unless you want to run the 22-250.
You'll likely need an Olympic Arms UMAR lower or complete rifle...but you're looking at at least a year long wait, unless you find one on places like Gunbroker or the Classifieds.
I would love to have one, been unable to find one. There was one on here but the guy never replied to messages. If you find one let me know please.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck84 View Post
I would love to have one, been unable to find one. There was one on here but the guy never replied to messages. If you find one let me know please.

This is a really really old review so forgive the audio and length. You can skip toward the end to see the 100 yd groups.
I know this isn't listed for sale anywhere, but it's got less than 50 rounds through it and shoots lights out. I know he'd be willing to let it go since he strictly runs bolt guns for hunting now.

PM me if you're interested in talking it over with him. I'll be out there deer hunting this weekend.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

Pardon me, I didn't have time to read all the posts, but If your wanting a cheap to shoot plinker go with the AR-74. At (.16ea) the 5.45X39 is plenty cheap to shoot. It's pretty small, just something to think about.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notajeep View Post
Pardon me, I didn't have time to read all the posts, but If your wanting a cheap to shoot plinker go with the AR-74. At (.16ea) the 5.45X39 is plenty cheap to shoot. It's pretty small, just something to think about.

ok thanks, but I am not looking to "PLINK".