Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed

When they are paying for the build then they can tell you how to build it. do the research make an informed decision build it how you want it. THEN SHOOT IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
It will be 24 inches in length, as large a diameter as will fit under Millie's own free-float handguard and through his Picatinney gasblock.
I did the same thing some time ago so I will offer this for your consideration... I found that the rifle was front heavy (just plain heavy!) and only suitable for shooting off a bipod or rest. It was however, extremely accurate. If you plan on carrying it much while hunting, I would suggest a thinner diameter barrel to reduce the weight (might even consider fluting it) and put a heavier stock on it, like the Magpul PRS. It will help the balance a lot.
As far as the twist rate is concerned, you can shoot pretty much anything you want to include the Hornady 75g BTHP. You probably won't be able to use the 75 AMAX out of the magazine because of the length of the ogive. It causes the bullet to be seated a little below the top of the neck, however I would expect that it would work well single loaded. The 77g SMKs should work too.
I would listen to the 'smith about the chamber dimensions very closely. AR's will generate a lot of fouling and that fouling will find it's way into the chamber. If you have too close a fit it will cause malfunctions. One more thing, Never, Never neck size the cases. That WILL cause you problems.
Good luck on your build. Hope you have a great time with it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 9 twist. The Bushmaster Varmint comes with a 9 twist (or used to, not sure if it's still made). Personally, I'd go with the smiths' recomendation on the chamber and throat. Just let him know what you intend on shooting and the guns' intended use and that you want the best precision/most accuracy that you can get out of an AR platform.

I'd be curious to hear why your builder/smith doesn't recommend a short throat with a 9 twist. He probably has a very good reason, I just don't know what it is.

My build was an 8 twist just because I wanted both of my uppers (one is a factory Bushmaster Predator) to have the same twist rate. My barrel is 22" long and measures .850 at the muzzle. It's fluted fore and aft of the gas block and it's actually a pretty heavy little rifle.

It's got a Sierra Precision grip and a Rite-Pull grip extension and Magpul stock (I absolutely love the stock). Nightforce Unimount above the flat top reciever. Jewell Trigger set at 1.5 lbs.

The group is the best I got with Varget powder and Sierra 60 grn HP at 200 yds. Varget is the only powder I tried so far and I haven't done any adjustment of seating depths. The gun shot some other 1/2 minute groups at 200, but not as pretty as this one (wish the flyer wasn't there!)

Good Luck on your project and don't let the others bother you about shooting light bullets and a twist slower than 7 or 8. There's alot better cartridges/rifles out there than a magazine length dependant 223 if we want to shoot 75 grn and heavier bullets.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed-ar-15-varget-200-yds.jpg   My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed-pict0058.jpg  

My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed-pict0060.jpg  

Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Bronze Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you fr your opinions and recommendations.

I spoke to Mike Millie about the rifle. He will make the barrel 22". About 1" under the handguard, and 0.936" after the front gasblock. He will use his reamer he calls the "Heavy Match". It is a PTG reamer with 0.069" freebore to load long bullets. The diameter of the free bore is 0.2245". He told me no-one has had any complaints so I'll go with that. I chose to go with a 1:8 twist. The .223 Remmie isn't fawst enough to blow up small bullets (I hope), so this should work well with virtually everything I try to throw down the tube.

Looking forward to this. I even thought about having him make an upper in .243 WSSM at the same time. I have a couple months to decide this.

Thanks again for the information and opinions.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Nitroman, you've chosen well with Mike Milli. He creates a fantastic product. 1x8 is a good choice, and will work great with about anything you feed it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

I just got my first ar with a heavy barrel and 1-9 twist as well. I have been getting reamed as well from all the tacticool guys as well but who cares? We each build our rifles for different uses and if you are not a SHTF type of guy, you simply don't need the same things. I totally get what you are trying to do. Good luck and let us know how it shoots! Don't sweat the people you will never meet!