Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed

I posted my new build on 24-hour and Falfiles and am getting slammed because I wanted to use a twist rate that'll allow for the use of the Barnes 63-grain and lighter bullets. I guess this is beyond most peoples' comphrehension? I dunno. From almost all the reply's I glean I need to find a narrow range of bullets weights and then...that's it bey-beh. Not like using a bolt gun where you can experiement throughout what's available. And the big point is my desire to use a 1:9 twist. This just has some people burning UP I tell you. I wanted that twist with a short throat to seat the bullets to the lands, a longer bullet I'll just seat deeper into the case. What the hell is wrong with people? Geez, you'd think I just propositioned their 12 YO daughter or something.

So here is what I decided to get. I WAS pretty damn excited about it until today.
I have just now mailed a cashiers check to cover the cost of a build to Mike Millie of Dedicated Technology. Everything I have seen posted on various forums about this fellow shows him to be upright and a righteous builder of extremely accurate AR's.
http://www.dtechsuperstore.com

I decided to using the Shilen select match barrel since it is probably one of the five best barrels being made today on this planet. It will be 24 inches in length, as large a diameter as will fit under Millie's own free-float handguard and through his Picatinney gasblock. (I stressed I was going to use the mangonel-style flip up front and rear sights for emergency use.)

I asked for a reamer with the tightest chamber and neck that will allow the use of commercial ammo without me having to turn the necks (of brass). And throated for use with the 63 grain Barnes TSX. This is the heaviest bullet I will shoot. My expectations are nothing further than a 500 yard shot. I was looking at a 1:9 twist, but Millie told me he doesn't recommend a short throat with a 1:9 twist, only his 1:12 and 1:14 barrels. He has a reamer he calls a "Heavy Match" that is very tight in the body and neck, but has a throat that allows seating of any bullet out to magazine length. Does this sound like a good one? I was looking at the tighter twist due to most of my shooting in the wintertime cold temps in dense air; the extra stabilization might be necessary?

Trigger will be the Geissel NM set to 1.75 pound first stage with a 0.5 pound second stage (I really am ready FTR_Shooter).

The upper, lower and barrel will be done in Norrel Moly-Resin Olive Drab. The small parts, ejection port cover, gasblock and handguard/mount will all be Norrel Flat Black.

The average annual temperature for Southwestern Alaska is +29*F. We do get some days that are +70*F and over, but this is rare. Most of the time in the summer it's +60*F and cooler. So I need a quicker rate of twist, but not so quick it'll blow up lighter, faster bullets like a 40 grain Nosler BT.
Oh, I got slammed about wanting to have back-up-iron-sights or BUIS (I didn't even know AR weenies had an acronym for that). Being as this rifle may weigh around 11-12 pounds ready to run, I was told the BUIS are a joke for SHTF and runnin' and gunnin'. WTH? Is everyone a tactikewl mall ninja?

Better living through chemistry.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My First Spacegun Build And Am Getting Reamed

How about build how you want it and enjoy it? They arn't shooting it so don't worry about them. Enjoy your gun. Congrats!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
How about build how you want it and enjoy it? They arn't shooting it so don't worry about them. Enjoy your gun. Congrats!
Thanks. You are right. I have never built an AR so was looking for insight from those who have. I need to call the builder next week and have a good talk with him, and ask him to send me copies of his chamber prints to see which one I think will work for me.

Better living through chemistry.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

I would say you are on the right track. Just get with your smith and see what he recommends. The 1:9 twist will allow you to shoot heavier bullets, not lighter ones. The lower twist stabilizes heavier bullets. I shoot 55 gr bullets out of my 220 swift and it has a 1:12 twist.

All the rest of your ideas sound good. I dont have iron sights on my AR because I have a variable power scope on it so if I have my scope power on the lowest setting until I get to where I am going. You dont really need the iron sights on it if you are going to varmint hunt with it. It will make your line of sight so high because you scope will have to be mounted above the line of sight of the iron sights.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I would second this, but temper it with the thought if you've done a good job picking the smith, and communicating your needs as you initially posted, consider giving a little of the decision making to the builder. This has worked for me on bolt rifles, don't have any knowledge of AR's like you just starting to intrigue me.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

You did two things right. you called mike an you listen to your self..Be safe have fun an aalways shoot center mass.SLOAN
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

1-9 and 1-8 twists shoot light bullets extremely well, and will handle the longer bullets up to the 69gr... Don't sweat your twist selection, the 1-9 works very well.