Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Muzzle brakes on ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brakes on ARs

Got any of those left for sale.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 PM

Nice video and test! Certainly very pertinent for those concerned about recoil. I would suggest that a far bigger benefit of a well designed brake on an AR platform is quicker and more accurate follow up shots. The ingenious mounting device in the video, with the rifle strapped in like it is, takes all of the muzzle blast and forces the gun to react in a straight rearward direction. In real life your are going to get muzzle rise as well as rearward recoil. A well designed brake will not only redirect the gasses to the sides and back but up so that muzzle rise is greatly reduced. If I am shooting a 300 win mag yeah, I want the recoil reduced, but if I am shooing an AR-15 I want to break that 2nd, 3rd and 4th shot as quickly and accurately as possible. I have tried eight to ten brakes on the AR platform and the two I find the best for competitive shooting are the Ops Inc and the SJC. Most competitive events have rules about muzzle devices and both the SJC and Ops Inc work within most rulebooks. I also really like the little Nordic Components brake for size/effectiveness/price balance. For those looking for suppressor adapters that are also muzzle brakes you cannot beat the SureFire line of muzzle brake suppressor adapters.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

threaded a .243 barrel this summer best 165 bucks I ever spent.

I'm considering my AR now, I bought a VAS break from Brownell in 6MM the muzzle blast is only bad at the sides I barely noticed a change from behind the barrel.

Now recoil I spot my shots, I can shoot the gun 1 handed its kicks less than the AR even with max load rounds and its so much fun to watch stuff turn to vapor when I pull the trgger.

I shot with a friend and he couldn't believe the gun he even tried to get his very small 10yr old to shoot it. his arms weren't long enough for the Hogue over mold stock