Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Muzzle brakes on ARs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Muzzle brakes on ARs

The question often comes up and I had always thought they didn't need them. Only hard kicking rifles did
but the advantages of a brake can improve the total performance of the rifle and the shooter (Something we are all interested in.

After doing some extensive testing I have changed my mind, (Rare for an old guy set in his ways)

Recoil has never been an issue with me until it approached or exceeded 80+ ft/ lbs.

Muzzle flash has also not been an issue because the animal is not shooting back. But having a simi
auto for quick follow up shots muzzle control is always an issue for me and on the larger calibers that the AR 15s and AR 10s can handle it realy helps if you can remain on target while shooting.

The attached Video will show that a brake can help even the 223/5.56 calibers to handle better.

There are other good examples on You Tube if interested

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brakes on ARs

I am a long time Law Enforcement officer and said the same thing. Then I shoot one. We have used AR-15 platforms for about 15 years. Some of them will ruin your night vision. I run a Bravo Company Mod-1. It does a great job. Wait till you try a mid length gas sytem on a car.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks .

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member

Have them on my 6.8 & my 6mm AR AI, they make it easy to do follow up shots in a mess of Hogs....highly recommend.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I'll put a muzzle brake on any center rifle I own. I don't care what caliber it is. I like being able to spot my own shots. My current AR15 doesn't have a threaded barrel so I'm limited to clamp on brakes. My next upper will have a threaded barrel for sure.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I have benn considering putting a break on my RRA for followup shots on hogs. Thanks for the video
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Bronze Member

Definitely agree with ReelDawg, I use the Bravo Co. Mod 1 on all of my AR's as well. Its night and day, so much better with the break on it. I have it on my .308, 6.8 SPC, and5.56. Building another one now and already bought the Mod 1 for it. You will definitely see a difference on many rifles with a muzzle break it helps keep your rifle on target and helps with your night vision as well. I spent 15 years in the Army, with 2 tours in Iraq so I know that a break/flash hider works! Hope that helps.