Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Long Range Hunting AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Hunting AR

You might consider the Browning BAR in 338 win mag. They are reliable and accurate.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the information as I am new to this whole long range AR world.

c_bass16, thanks for the great insight! I better hit the gym if I'm really going to do this. This will be my first AR build so I want to make it the best I can with the funds I have, so something as custom as the 300SAUM is probably a project I will save for the future.

Since the WSSM will work on the AR 15 platform and is lethal enough to take deer at 600+ which WSSM would you recommend? I'm assuming I will need custom mags for the WSSM, right? And would you still recommend a 24" barrel?

Also, How much does your 300SAUM weigh????
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

It wasn't meant to be a way to toot my own horn, it's just the simple fact that AR10 rifles are heavier than most people would like.
The 300 SAUM could be hand for under $1500 without optics...but not in this market. You're probably looking at closer to double now days.

Either the 243 or the 25 WSSM is great for deer...the only draw back of the 25 is bullet options, but if you get one between 100-117 that will shoot good, you'll have it made in the shade.
With the 243, you're going to be limited to the 105gr bullets.

For the WSSM's you can actually get by with 22" barrels and get complete powder burn if you run the heavier bullets.
If you want to go down to the lighter varmint rounds at ultimate speed, then the 24" will get you better bang for your buck.

Gotta remember, the thing that most people love about the WSSM is the speed....and if you're not getting everything out of it that you can, there is probably better choices to make.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM

I didn't take it as tooting your horn, you were just giving it to me straight which I appreciate I'm totally new to this!

So, do you have something other than the 25wssm that you would suggest for the ar 15 platform?

Thanks for all of your insight!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7aDay View Post
I didn't take it as tooting your horn, you were just giving it to me straight which I appreciate I'm totally new to this!

So, do you have something other than the 25wssm that you would suggest for the ar 15 platform?

Thanks for all of your insight!
For taking game at extended ranges?
The 243WSSM
Inside 400, the 6.8 SPC is fine and dandy
Predators, the 204 and the 22-250 from Olympic Arms
short-mid range game, the 300 BLK
Banging long range steel, the 6mmAR Turbo 40 Imp
AR10 Platform on medium game at medium range the .260 or 6.5 Creed
Banging long range steel with the AR10, pretty much any of them depending on bullet choice
For fun, a pistol caliber SBR with a suppressor or like my case, an integrally suppressed pistol cal upper.

You could lose your mind trying to narrow down that box of worms lol.