Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Lancer carbon fiber free float tube, bi pod question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Bronze Member

Lancer carbon fiber free float tube, bi pod question

I'd like to not have to spend additional money on a rail and also a bipod to rail adaptor. I'm thinking that could be an extra $80. What do you guys think the best way is to attach a bi pod to a carbon fiber tube. A link to such product would be helpful. I'll be away from the computer for a few days, hopefully in the next few days someone will help me out a bit.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lancer carbon fiber free float tube, bi pod question

Clark carbon free-float tubes have a sling swivel stud installed on their tube and it works quite well. It's a 1/8 or 3/16th wall thickness piece of aluminum tube that matches the internal diameter of the tube. Just about 1/2 Inch wide buy 1" long and that is threaded for the stud. I believe there is just a clearance hole in the tube for the stud to pass through. It works well and wouldn't be that hard to duplicate.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

That sounds about what I think I'd want. I'll have to look around an see if I can find one on the web.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Bronze Member

Trying to make up m mind. I e-mailed the Mfg to ask about using a stud instead of a rail. I'm thinking a 4" ($35) rail is the only safe way to go. That would require an additional adaptor. So where did my weight savings go? Not too happy at the moment.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

I used a regular stud, went to the hardware store and found a combination thread nut /washer. I tried to contour it to the handguard diameter. Seems to work.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

The Mfg (Lancer) informed me they sell a stud and provided me a link to it. It is pretty much a low profile nut welded to a small square of sheet metal maybe 1"X 1". I'm not thrilled with my options here. I just feel over time that stud is going to crack out the free float tube. I'm considering returning the tube and exchanging it for a 1/4" thick Aluminum tube.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notajeep View Post
The Mfg (Lancer) informed me they sell a stud and provided me a link to it. It is pretty much a low profile nut welded to a small square of sheet metal maybe 1"X 1". I'm not thrilled with my options here. I just feel over time that stud is going to crack out the free float tube. I'm considering returning the tube and exchanging it for a 1/4" thick Aluminum tube.
The stud should not damage the tube at all. Honestly I would bed a fender washer in epoxy and install a sling swivel stud. That said I think the Fortis HG is the lightest HG on the market.