Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles


Reply

K-16 upper

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,389
Re: K-16 upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision_Game_85 View Post
I guess I should have been more specific on what I needed. Basically, I'm wanting a 16 inch version of my stag model 6. I saw the price on the k-16 and thought that it was a good deal so that's why I brought up that model. Target size is a coyote and though I want 400 yrds out of the gun I'll take more if I can get it. I don't have any experience with DPMS either so what do you think about their complete uppers? The reason I was wanting a heavy barrel is more out of habit than anything else.
Well I look down on them, I'm a mil spec guy if it does not meet or excide the gov minimum standards its not for me. Colt, BCM,DD, Noveske, Larue, LMT are all I will buy there are no exceptions to that! They are products with a proven track record in combat and a guarntee that if it does not work we will make it right. I take this very serously these weapons are my life in some cases. You want an upper to hunt coyotes at 400 plus yards with a heavy barrel. I would look at Noveske hunter line or BCMs web site they have the most options.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 76
Re: K-16 upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Well I look down on them, I'm a mil spec guy if it does not meet or excide the gov minimum standards its not for me. Colt, BCM,DD, Noveske, Larue, LMT are all I will buy there are no exceptions to that! They are products with a proven track record in combat and a guarntee that if it does not work we will make it right. I take this very serously these weapons are my life in some cases. You want an upper to hunt coyotes at 400 plus yards with a heavy barrel. I would look at Noveske hunter line or BCMs web site they have the most options.
I'll check that out then. Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SW Washingon
Posts: 41
Re: K-16 upper

Olympic Arms had some growing pains and as a result they produced some real crap about 25 years ago. The rifles they now produce are one of the best AR's out there. I've had at least one from just about every manufacturer out there, and so far I've been very happy and surprised by how well they work.

I won't rag on any of the high end manufacturers, but the two I've had the most problems with, were also the two most expensive AR's out there. Their customer service was great, but if the "you get what you pay for" has any truth to it...there should NOT have been ANY problems!

Mike Milli at DTech builds some of the BEST alternate caliber AR's right now. When you order from him, you are given a choice between Shilen Select Match barrel or an Olympic Arms barrel. I've got one of each, and they have killed everything my wife or I have pointed them at out to some ranges that I won't even talk about. My point is; there must be a reason he uses Olympic Arms barrels. (I was pretty surprised actually when I found that out!)

I remember hearing stories from my Dad's freinds about importing the first load of Toyota's and later Honda cars that came in on a ship. They ended up towing over half of them directly to the scap yard because they were such absolute POS. They have improved a bit over the years as well.

The first AR that I had any experience with was an Olympic and at the time I thought, "yep just like my Dad always told me...they suck". He was in the first group of Rangers to go to Vietnam in '65. He always told me how bad the M-16 (AR platform) was due to his experiences. Colt and Armalite have got better since then too.

Just my experiences. Take them for what they are worth. I'm going to order an Olmpic 22-250 lower so I can seat WSSM, and Grendel bullets out where they belong. At this point they are the only manufacturer making it, I can't believe one of the "really good Mil Spec" manufacturers didn't come up with it.
Other than the 22-250 isn't Mil Spec, all the other parts interchange.

All my Olympic Arms stuff has interchanged with everything else that is "Mil Spec". Maybe they have got better? Like I said, I've not had one problem with their new products.
__________________
Work to live, don't live to work.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 933
Re: K-16 upper

No need to worry with the K16. It's a good no frills upper for what you're wanting. I've seen K16 uppers shoot extremely well, and truthfully I don't think I've seen a bad one.

A few years ago I worked side by side with Olympic while stationed at Fort Lewis and had the opportunity to test some of their ARs and components. I went in with the attitude that Olympic wasn't nearly as good as others because of all the crap you hear about how they're not chrome lined, and they use cast receivers, etc. but you know what? They put one of their stainless M4 barreled ARs in my hands for while and I beat the living crap out of it for two years. I swapped the receivers between several different manufacturers without a problem and continued to beat it. Even after all that, the little stainless barreled M4 shot just as good as the day it came out of the box before I sold it to a guy that could't get his Colt to shoot straight. (I think he was just a poor shot.)

I've had a few Olympic receivers that I often swapped between several manufacturers without issue. One of my most versatile lowers is an Olympic with a treatment they used to do called Maxhard, and I've used it with several different uppers. My best shooting upper has one of their 4 groove cut rifled 20" Stainless Ultramatch barrels and it shoots everything really well. Last year I built my brother an AR from a few parts I had kicking around. I built it with a S&W lower and a nicely matched Olympic upper receiver, DPMS guts and a 1x8 Olympic target match barrel. It functions flawlessly.

All that said, I don't prefer to build on Olympic parts just because there are nicer parts to build with, but I do think that they are far better than the reputation they get from the higher tier AR crowd, and after years of beatings and hard use they have earned my respect. I will continue to use use their cut rifled SUM barrels for precision AR work just because I truly believe they are some of the most consistent AR barrels you can get, and I will always have at least one Olympic build in my safe simply because it's the most accurate AR I've got.

I've had and built ARs on several different receiver brands, and the worst fitting receivers I've had were Daniel Defense, which were really loose, but they worked. Most receivers now days fit up decent, even the cheap ones.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,389
Re: K-16 upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
No need to worry with the K16. It's a good no frills upper for what you're wanting. I've seen K16 uppers shoot extremely well, and truthfully I don't think I've seen a bad one.

A few years ago I worked side by side with Olympic while stationed at Fort Lewis and had the opportunity to test some of their ARs and components. I went in with the attitude that Olympic wasn't nearly as good as others because of all the crap you hear about how they're not chrome lined, and they use cast receivers, etc. but you know what? They put one of their stainless M4 barreled ARs in my hands for while and I beat the living crap out of it for two years. I swapped the receivers between several different manufacturers without a problem and continued to beat it. Even after all that, the little stainless barreled M4 shot just as good as the day it came out of the box before I sold it to a guy that could't get his Colt to shoot straight. (I think he was just a poor shot.)

I've had a few Olympic receivers that I often swapped between several manufacturers without issue. One of my most versatile lowers is an Olympic with a treatment they used to do called Maxhard, and I've used it with several different uppers. My best shooting upper has one of their 4 groove cut rifled 20" Stainless Ultramatch barrels and it shoots everything really well. Last year I built my brother an AR from a few parts I had kicking around. I built it with a S&W lower and a nicely matched Olympic upper receiver, DPMS guts and a 1x8 Olympic target match barrel. It functions flawlessly.

All that said, I don't prefer to build on Olympic parts just because there are nicer parts to build with, but I do think that they are far better than the reputation they get from the higher tier AR crowd, and after years of beatings and hard use they have earned my respect. I will continue to use use their cut rifled SUM barrels for precision AR work just because I truly believe they are some of the most consistent AR barrels you can get, and I will always have at least one Olympic build in my safe simply because it's the most accurate AR I've got.

I've had and built ARs on several different receiver brands, and the worst fitting receivers I've had were Daniel Defense, which were really loose, but they worked. Most receivers now days fit up decent, even the cheap ones.
Lower to upper reciver fit has now bearing what so ever on rifle accuracy.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 933
Re: K-16 upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Lower to upper reciver fit has now bearing what so ever on rifle accuracy.

You are absolutely coorect. But since I don't like rattly components I prefer not to use them if I don't have to. If someone absolutely needs an AR built on DD receivers I'd do it, and I'm sure I could turn it into a 1/2 MOA gun, but I prefer a more precise receiver fit than what I have experienced with DD.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,389
Re: K-16 upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
You are absolutely coorect. But since I don't like rattly components I prefer not to use them if I don't have to. If someone absolutely needs an AR built on DD receivers I'd do it, and I'm sure I could turn it into a 1/2 MOA gun, but I prefer a more precise receiver fit than what I have experienced with DD.
I have a DD rifle and its tight
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: K-16 upper
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOA 26" Match Upper or RRA 24" Bull Barrel Upper boostedawd91 AR15/10 Rifles 8 09-20-2011 09:49 PM
WTT LR-308 Upper iamsniper1 Guns For Sale 0 07-29-2010 05:46 PM
WTT LR-308 Upper iamsniper1 Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 07-28-2010 02:10 PM
WTT 24" Heavy Bull Upper for Shorter Upper msdeer Guns For Sale 1 03-19-2010 01:01 PM
WTB AR Upper 1357MAG Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 02-25-2010 06:52 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.14%
63 Votes
NO - 52.04%
102 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 15.82%
31 Votes
Total Votes: 196
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC